audible alarm setting off - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 06-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
rbrewer

audible alarm setting off

I have a 2003 exp limited, my alarm has starting going off during the night for no reason. anyone have this problem?

rbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2017, 05:26 AM   #2
J_C

The one on my '98 goes off at night but for a reason, that reason being that things in my pocket poke the buttons on accident.

It could be that the switch on yours has a degraded metal switch contact membrane in it and doesn't really need a full press to activate, can just wiggle loose inside and activate. I mean that I don't remember which type of switches they have. Little metal box type discrete switches on the circuit board may do this, while the type of switches that are instead just a pattern of carbon traces direct on the circuit board and rubber buttons with carbon on the back of them to conduct, won't fail like that.

One thing you might try is just taking the battery out of the remote. It can't very well set it off on accident if there's no battery power, but if it doesn't go off very often, that could be a long, inconvenient wait to see of the problem is gone.

Is it possible you have a more advanced system than the older generation and it's going off because some meth addict really is trying to break into it? Just seems odd that it's (always?) at night, unless your nightly habits just happen to place you in a room within closer range of it so accidental keypresses make it go off only when you're that much closer in distance.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote