Dimmer Switch - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 10-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
freda

Dimmer Switch

Anyone know where I may find a dimmer switch for a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport the number is a 11691 but Ford discontinued making this part. How do you stop making a part for a vehicle you manufacturer. No one seems to have this part... Is there a after market part? Any help would be appreciated

freda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #2
Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by freda View Post
Anyone know where I may find a dimmer switch for a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport the number is a 11691 but Ford discontinued making this part. How do you stop making a part for a vehicle you manufacturer. No one seems to have this part... Is there a after market part? Any help would be appreciated

You don't have a dimmer switch. You have a smart switch. It's the turn signal switch assembly. You replace the whole magilla and AutoZone, Advance and so on often have them on the shelf. If not, they can get the fairly quick.
Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:23 PM   #3
J_C

^ This was a very old topic. Today there is no problem finding that part, just do a web search for Ford dimmer 11691 and you can find it at Amazon for $20 or eBay around that price too. However you may need the rest of the part # because there is a F87B-11691 which is a rotary dimmer and there is a BL3Z-11691 which looks more like a pushbutton resistor based switch assembly (or just compare pictures to the original).

However there are people who have taken theirs apart, cleaned the conductive tracks and regreased them and they worked fine. When prying open an old plastic shell like that, it can help to heat it to make the plastic softer, less likely to break the tabs holding it together.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #4
Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_C View Post
^ This was a very old topic. Today there is no problem finding that part, just do a web search for Ford dimmer 11691 and you can find it at Amazon for $20 or eBay around that price too. However you may need the rest of the part # because there is a F87B-11691 which is a rotary dimmer and there is a BL3Z-11691 which looks more like a pushbutton resistor based switch assembly (or just compare pictures to the original).

However there are people who have taken theirs apart, cleaned the conductive tracks and regreased them and they worked fine. When prying open an old plastic shell like that, it can help to heat it to make the plastic softer, less likely to break the tabs holding it together.

I started to not post on it but I saw how slow this forum is and thought I'd liven things up a bit. I had found another, more active forum for Explorers but I tried several times to sign up and it never would let me. Forums like that also act as venues for viruses so I passed on it.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
J_C

^ That's odd, I've been a member there for years and haven't seen any venues for viruses.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #6
Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_C View Post
^ That's odd, I've been a member there for years and haven't seen any venues for viruses.
I found at least three other forums. The only one that looked decent kept tripping my antivirus software. A friend works in IT and he set me up with one that stops going to infected sites. This one looks clean.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:00 PM   #7
J_C

^ Probably an over-aggressive antivirus software. Most of the so-called security suites these days are way too aggressive. The last one I tried wouldn't even let me run DOS batch files that I'd used since last century.

IMO you get a safer and less annoying browsing experience running a browser scripting and ad blocker. Some sites will notice that and prevent content but then you can block the script they used to detect that you're blocking those things, lol.