Just once will things go Right - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 04-03-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
CobraXP

Send a message via AIM to CobraXP Send a message via MSN to CobraXP Send a message via Yahoo to CobraXP
Eery year around this time - I HATE my Explorer. I don't really hate it, I just hate the emissions and safety inspections that have to be done in Utah.

The Explorer has been sitting quietly in its corner of the garage all winter, resting comfortably. The battery was on a trickle charger in the winter (still in the X, but disconnected), but the negative cable still was corroded and looks horrible. I pulled the X out last weekend and ran around town for about 200 or so miles, go by Ford and order a new cable, yada yada...

I go this morning for the emissions and inspection because the tag is due this month. Same shop as last year, and the guy even remembers my Explorer. He looks at the mileage in the computer and laughs because I only put 1,122 miles on it since last April. Now he starts bugging me about not having yellow reflectors in the front (have clear corners with white reflectors). We get past that, then he starts looking at brakes and tells me I might need a set of pads. This blows me away because he knows I put new EBC Green pads on right before the inspection last year (remember, I've only put 1100 miles on it). I start dying laughing. Next he hooks it up to the machine and says "I don't know... built engines normally do not do well on the emissions." I remind him it has passed every other time and probably has better emissions than his Geo Metro.

Fail... O2 sensors and O2 heaters are 'NOT READY', meaning they are not reading because the battery was disconnected. MOTHER F&%^#R !!!!!

Now I have to drive it around for a day or so and get the sensors to pick up again... Then go back and deal with him all over again...

It is days like this I want to pull every piece of wire from the X and stick a built 302 with a Holley 880 4barrel on top in it and call it good...

Anyone want to buy a 1997 Ford Explorer with a couple of modifications done to it?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

97 X - Mods? What mods?!?!?!

07 ST Limited - Playing catchup to its older brother

http://www.cobraxp.com/PagePics/Arti...aXP%20ROTM.jpg
CobraXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
utayogi

You just need to visit you a country shop and slip a good ole boy a 20.
utayogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
Rob

Wow that sucks David. Your Explorer is way, way too nice to let stuff like this get you down though. Since you put so few miles on it anymore, why don't you look into classifying it as a show or collector vehicle? If for nothing else, for lower insurance costs? Don't know what you already do or if I even know what I'm talking about. I would just assume there is some sort of law out there like this that would help you with the inspection process.

That sucks though. Again, don't let stupid sh!t like that discourage you. You put way too much time, effort, and money into it to just can it. Not sure how serious you are either, lol.
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
CobraXP

Send a message via AIM to CobraXP Send a message via MSN to CobraXP Send a message via Yahoo to CobraXP
The Explorer will pass on its own - I just seem to always have something pop up when I go to get tags. It never fails... I'm cursed...

The insurance is only $325 a year on the Explorer. That is full coverage and listed on a Cash Value policy - meaning if something happens to it, they pay me cash value of what I have in the vehicle minus depreciation. They have copies of receipts and pictures of the Explorer, so I'm set there. Only reason I do not list it as a collector or show vehicle is because I would have to run a collector tag - and that is not my thing...

This is just a blowing steam post... nothing more... lol... I just have this kind of luck...

97 X - Mods? What mods?!?!?!

07 ST Limited - Playing catchup to its older brother

http://www.cobraxp.com/PagePics/Arti...aXP%20ROTM.jpg
CobraXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
asimp

Send a message via Yahoo to asimp
That really sucks.....but sounds like it will correct itself in a day or two. The headache is dealing with the idiots at the inspection lol
asimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
utayogi

I owe yall too, I was going to install my HIDs this weekend. This post reminded me I need to get my inspection done first.
utayogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
jerseydevil36

I love Georgia,with no Inspection.... not even emmisions in my county.

Steve. 98 sport 4.0 OHV.A.K.A. "THE DUBWAGON"
jerseydevil36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #8
CDW6212R

I feel for you David, I have not much more than that on my 98 since last year. I'd say avoid disconnecting the battery shortly before an inspection. I gather it takes a number of engine cycles to settle in the PCM system. I think that they are looking for people who pull the battery cable to hope to stop an error code for the test. Good luck,

98 Mountaineer 18's Zexel-Torsen diff, suspension work,12.75" x 1.25" rotors etc., 347 4WD soon.
Be American, Buy American(MANUFACTURER)
CDW6212R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
WilsonTheDog

Send a message via AIM to WilsonTheDog
Arnold voice: "STOP WHINING!"

Seriously, I know what you're going through. I had to put up with crap like that in NJ with my S10 and my Ranger back in the day. Except for with the S10, it was me having to put the ride height back to stock to get it to pass that was a total PITA. A few hours worth of work just for them to pass it every couple years.

I love this state with it's lack of inspections.

2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner DC V6

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SE - GONE

1999 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 - GONE

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.
WilsonTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #10
LongDuckDong

If you guys are bitching about your inspections don't move to CA. The strictest in the country! I never had any problems passing when I lived there but they check every freakin thing. They almost failed my Explorer because I farted on the leather seats and it set of an interior sensor
[quote name='Hartman' post='219952' date='Mar 21 2008, 09:45 AM']You won't be on AK's level until you make a detailed write-up on windshield wiper replacement.[/quote]
LongDuckDong is offline   Reply With Quote