Is newer bigger? - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 02-23-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
Grouch

Is newer bigger?

It's not really off topic for Explorers, just I didn't know where else to post this. I've got a pretty nice '93 XLT Explorer I got several months ago. It drives pretty good, low miles, no rust and the 4X4 works great in the ice and snow. I'm just wondering about interior space. Are the newer Explorers bigger inside? I know some have a third row but that deals with length. My biggest problem is the foot pedals. My feet keep getting tangled in them. My old Expedition didn't have that issue but it was a much larger SUV. The ladyfriend and I are both 6 foot so interior space is at a premium.

Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 11:14 PM   #2
J_C

Which generation did you have in mind? They did progressively get larger, but as with most modern vehicles, they still manage to cocoon people in, take up additional space in order to offer more storage, fancy consoles, and allow smaller people to operate them, not provide much more space for driver or front passenger.

Nothing is now as spacious as a first generation Expedition was, especially with the center console that goes all the way to the floor then extends back on the flloor to storage under an armrest... probably not even a new(ish) Expedition, but an Expedition is probably the better size to suit you, especially if there is a low end model you can find without the center console going all the way to the floor.

There is only a small size difference between 1st gen and 2nd gen Explorers. Same width but 2nd gen is about 1/2 foot longer - much of that may be the curved from because the wheelbases are about the same.

Third generation, 2002-05, most notable is the independent rear suspension, but wheelbase got a couple inches longer, width a couple inches wider, and length about the same (slightly lower profile bumper).

Forth generation 2006-2010 is probably what you're thinking about a it does have the 3rd row seat, another ~ 1.5" wider and about 1/3' longer. I don't know if this generation had the adjustable foot pedals or not, or whether that would help.

As far as I know they were offered on older generations of Expedition before Explorer but I also don't know if it was all trim levels or only the high end trim, which would be the least likely to have the open area on the floor due to being least likely to omit the full height center console.

Ultimately I think you're going to have to sit in a few and see if they suit you, keeping in mind what I wrote about adjustable pedals. I know they're available on a 5th generation 2011 or newer, which are also about 5" wider still, but as I mentioned above they managed to take up the extra space with *equipment*, not give you that extra room in the footwells.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
Grouch

I generally buy, or trade for, older equipment and fix the issues that people let accumulate. My current Explorer is a '93 with under 100K but it had a crunchie on one corner. I've found a smashed fender tends to keep people from cutting in front of you.

New cars and SUVs are way out of my price range. I'm not paying twice what I paid for my house for a truck. This Explorer I got in a trade, I fixed some issues with it and it's a good backup driver for really bad weather. This is the one that there was so much controversy over whether it was the car design or tires causing people to roll on a blow out. Ford had better lobbyists so Firestone took the hit but I think it was more operator error. Many test drivers tried to cause a roll over but never could. When I got this one, the shocks were shot and tires were a bit iffy. It did drive squirrely. It does have a narrow stance but with the maintenance up to date, it's quite stable. I was a police officer when the crashes were happening and several of the crashed units had heavy loads on the roof racks. I'm pretty sure the crashes were due to poor maintenance, high speed, low tire pressure and improper loading. Add in an inexperienced driver who over reacts and you can flip a paving stone, much less a car. Each of the tests were done with trained drivers who were expecting a blow out.
Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #4
J_C

^ I chalk the wrecks up to the first generation being driven by a lot of soccer moms who couldn't understand that a truck with a higher center of gravity doesn't turn on a dime at speed like a car does.

Ford's low(ish) tire inflation pressure spec and Firestone's design may have both contributed to tire blowout but ultimately the way the driver reacts to that, determines if it flips over or just gets reigned in to bring it to a safe stop.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote