Explorer Talk banner

Noisy rear hatch?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mickeymann 
#1 ·
Hi all:

New member today with a question? I have an 02 sport that has a noisy rear hatch. It creaks and groans constantly. I've tried spraying everything with a silicone lubricant,didn't help. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

#2 ·
Hinges and latches should get light lithium grease, silicone dressing on the weatherstripping.

You might need a helper back there pushing on different areas to see what's creaking, probably needs new weatherstripping.

I don't recall about the rear but the hood has adjustable bumpers to keep it still. You might check to see if the rear has them, or could even add some as foam or rubber on sticky tape or a style more like the front where there's a bracket screwed to sheetmetal with a nut in the middle so a bolt stud with a rubber bumper on top extends out to create bump stops.

#3 ·
One other thing to check is the rear window on the hatch. If one of the hinges are loose or broken the window assembly will rattle. On the tailgate there are metal latches which are adjustable and a metal stud. Check both for play and eyeball the hatch from the outside to make sure that it is shutting with a equal gap on both sides when closed. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.