Locking the trunk - Ford Explorer 1992 Eddie Bauer Edition - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 01-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
jenyt

Locking the trunk - Ford Explorer 1992 Eddie Bauer Edition

Hello!

I have recently joined the club of Explorer owners!

This might sound like a silly question, but I can't seem to figure out how to lock my trunk. I can open the glass door and the actual trunk. Turning the key to the left does not seem to look it.

Anyone care to help out a newbie? Thanks!

jenyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2018, 11:53 PM   #2
J_C

Do you have remote fob(s) and if so will they lock it? If they don't work to lock it then I suspect something is wrong with the lock mechanism, unless it's just something silly like needing to turn the key to the right instead of left.

It is fairly old now, have you tried lubricating it and working the parts around? If it is very cold there, sometimes old grease can get so hard from the cold that it's as bad as no grease at all, at least in the short term trying to use the lock. For this reason if it is very cold I would try WD-40 first then if it starts to work, then spray in a very light grease.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:59 PM   #3
jenyt

Hi! Thanks so much for reply. I don't have a remote fob unfortunately. I did notice that the striker bolt is missing for the trunk. The one by the trunk window. Could this be causing the problem? I can take a picture of it tomorrow in the daylight. Right now it just looks like a screw that can't really be pushed down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
J_C

A picture couldn't hurt, but I don't know if I'd know what I was looking at since I have the next generation. Someone else might come along and see the pic though.

Yes it should have a striker bolt, or something more like a thick rectangular metal loop striker to latch to.

Wait, are you saying the problem is that only the window won't lock, or the entire lift gate won't lock, or that one or the other won't even latch at the bottom?

I looked on Rock Auto for related parts and don't see any, though they did have the left and right side door latches and striker bolts. What I'd do is visit a junkyard with that generation ('91-'94) to take a look at the mechanism to see what's there and compare it to mine, maybe take along some tools in case I decided I wanted to harvest any parts.

Unfortunately that won't give you a part name or Ford part # to search for replacements if it's something mechanical that wears out so you want a new one instead of one over 20 years old and possibly rusted from sitting in a junkyard a long time.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:23 PM   #5
jenyt

Thanks for your reply!

Today I wanted to take picture of the striking bold but noticed that the trunk was actually locked! While pressing the lock button inside the car didn't work for that yesterday, it appears to be working today.

In short, my trunk (window and door) now lock and unlock. Yay! Problem resolved for now though I will keep your advice in mind.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:15 AM   #6
J_C

I love easy fixes.