2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHC Sensor Question - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 11-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #1
MT357Mag

2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHC Sensor Question

2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHC

Do I have a air charge temp sensor on this engine? (usually located on the air box or intake tube) I cannot find a air charge sensor..

According to Auto Zone, Advanced auto, Napa & several other auto part stores My 2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHC is suppose to have a air charge temp sensor, Most of the sensors they sell are push in but the one from Napa has threads so I even looked all over the plenum & cannot find a sensor anywhere..

If My engine does have a air sensor can someone point out where it's located for Me? Thanks..
Attached Images

MT357Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2017, 03:05 AM   #2
J_C

I do not have an '00 4.0L SOHC, but from what I can tell, if your MAF sensor is the 6 wire type, it is built in. If it is the 4 wire type it is separate. You're probably seeing the part listed because the engine mostly (but not completely) went unchanged from earlier model years.

If you do have the 4 wire MAF sensor, look beyond it on the intake near the throttle body, possibly on the upper intake manifold itself.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #3
MT357Mag

J C Thank You for your valuable knowledge, I agree with you 100%, I've been having trouble for a year now every time winter approaches, Last year You & only one other person told Me that the air sensor is built in to the MAF sensor, I've talked to many mechanics & parts guys @ FOMOCO and every one of them told me there is a air sensor somewhere on the intake tube or motor & there is no way it is built into the MAF. I guess you proved them wrong.. (BTW) I do have 6 wires going to my MAF sensor, Last week I gave the guy @ the Ford dealership my vin # and he sent me this schematic of my intake tube according to my vin which is totally different, another dealership sent me the same schematic.

I did change the MAF about a Month ago & it did make a huge difference, Not perfect but 90% better, sometimes it fires right up @ 21 degrees outside & sometimes it takes three times to start, It's a huge improvement from last winter when it would only start 50% of the time. I just wanted to ask about the air sensor one more time just incase I missed something before it gets too cold outside.

Thanks again, I hope your knowledge helps others here having a similar problem.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #4
Mackattack

Mag, its the terminology that's tripping those other mechanics up when discussing this subject! Every computer controlled engine has to have an "ambient air temperature sensor" on it because the engine computer has to have the air temp information to operate properly.

The MAF sensor abbreviation stands for "mass air flow" sensor which means it measures the "mass" of the air flowing into the engine so the engine computer can calculate how much gas to mix with the amount (mass) of air going into the engine. The air temperature sensor is part of the MAF sensor on the intake, it enables the computer to calculate the volume of air flowing into the engine. The computer calculates the exact mass of the air by measuring the flow through a throttle body of known size combined with the temperature of that air to give it the amount of air to be mixed with fuel for proper running of the engine.
The computer adjusts the mixture (air/fuel ratio) by varying how long it keeps the fuel injectors open, thus making the mixture "richer or leaner" which in turn has a great bearing on how the engine performs!

Starting a cold engine requires a richer mixture but if it's too rich the engine "floods" and won't start. The line between rich enough to start and "flooding" is fairly small. If the MAF malfunctions, the computer will not "know" how long to keep the injectors open to adjust the air/fuel ratio which can result in a no start/poor running condition.

Since you replaced your MAF and you still have an intermittent starting problem, you need to look at what else may be causing that. I would suggest cleaning the throttle body first and then replacing the fuel filter. If that doesn't work you need to check the fuel pump pressure. If the pressure is too low it can contribute to poor starts because the computer "thinks" it's getting more gas into the engine than it really is thus causing too lean a mixture for good starts. Too low fuel pressure first shows up in starting because it's more critical the mixture be correct when starting than just in general running after the engine is warm.

Fuel injection is a wonderful thing until it isn't Good luck!
Mackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #5
MT357Mag

Thanks,
I'm still having problems, I cleaned the throttle body a few times & just changed the fuel filter last week, A word of advise in my situation, All the auto parts stores near me did not have a Motorcraft or Fram fuel filter so I ended up purchasing a Auto Zone filter, The Auto Zone fuel filter that says is an exact replacement was too short & would not work, I had to special order a Motorcraft filter & wait Two days but it did fit perfectly, So I would advise not getting a fuel filter from Auto Zone,

The problem I'm having is if the temperature outside is 50 degrees or warmer the truck starts every time, When the temperature outside is 40 degree's or colder I notice 70% of the time the fuel pump is not priming when I turn the ignition key & the truck won't start... Sometime if I cycle the key 4 times the pump will kick on & the truck will start, Sometimes I have to cycle the key 7 times but once the pump primes the truck will start.

Anyways I'm kind of confused why it starts every time in warmer weather but once it gets a little cold out it wont start.

I'm sure it's the fuel pump or the connection to the pump... The truck is at a very good repair shop right now & been sitting outside for Two day's, Every time they go outside in the cold to start it the truck starts right up the very first time... (lol)

They scanned it & checked the fuel pressure & so far everything is fine.. I'm positive it's the fuel pump but just thinking is it possible it could be something in the ignition switch? The anti theft seems to be ok.

Any way's I'll let them figure it out, They are a good shop & I'm sure they will get it fixed, I'm just scratching my head why it starts every time in warmer weather but once it gets cold out it doesn't..
Old 12-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
J_C

With only the pump not working (presumably?), it's not likely to be the ignition switch. Odds are it's the pump itself but just to rule it out I would swap the fuel pump relay with another of the same type, already in your power distribution box under hood. The diagram for it is in your owners manual.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
MT357Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_C View Post
With only the pump not working (presumably?), it's not likely to be the ignition switch. Odds are it's the pump itself but just to rule it out I would swap the fuel pump relay with another of the same type, already in your power distribution box under hood. The diagram for it is in your owners manual.
Yes, Thanks,

I did that, Talked to the mechanic earlier today He said before he puts in a new fuel pump he wants to check out the inertia switch first, I always thought they either work or don't work. He said no He saw many that malfunctioned intermittently..

I'm sure they will figure it out.

Thanks for the help..
Old Today, 01:54 AM   #8
Mackattack

Hey Mag. Glad you've got it almost figured out. Your tech is right, sometimes the inertia switch can be an intermittent fault and the switch is a lot cheaper than a fuel pump. Sounds like you'll soon have a truck that starts all the time, hope it's the switch. Best of luck.
Mack
Mackattack is offline   Reply With Quote