Catalytic converter setup - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 07-31-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
Maniac72

Catalytic converter setup

Hello everyone I am looking for advice on what would be the best way to change up my cats. Not long ago I had my muffler replaced for excessive rattling along with the tailpipe because it had holes in it. But my converter rattle bad to and that's without a heatshield on them. The converters are going on about 180,000 miles now and I'm looking to replace them but I want to replace the pipes connecting to the manifold to the muffler also. I have a 1999 ford explorer sport 4.0l v6 sohc. So it has 2 converters. What would be a good setup for this before the muffler?

Maniac72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
J_C

Define "good". You can get a shop to measure and weld up whatever you want including a stock setup.

The easy DIY way to get a few more years out of it would be Walker bolt on sections.

You can go to their website and input your vehicle info which I recommend doing but here is what I found there... I would at least crawl under the vehicle and compare to what you have on it now. These could be wrong!

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog...g-lookup/53274
http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog...g-lookup/50417

You may need gaskets, hangers, and it depends on what muffler you have on it, whether it's going to bolt on, or slip fit, and if any pipe needs expanded to slip fit.

However it might not be much more expensive, possibly even cheaper to have an exhaust shop weld something together using universal cats, as these two parts are about $280 each at Advance Auto Parts, though at Advance you can probably get about $80 to $100 knocked off with coupon codes if you make two separate orders so you don't exceed a $50 coupon discount limit per order. Then again you don't even list if you're in the US, and in CA you need a different conformant cat.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #3
Maniac72

When I decide to start a project I extensively research it. I've looked up direct bolt ons, but I don't want to buy it and it not be the right one. I've also thought about buying the cats and having a shop install.
But I've read people changing up there exhaust. Like installing a y-pipe that connects to the manifold, than putting on a straight pipe with cats and a y-pipe connecting to the muffler. Instead of the converters connecting to manifold and twin straight pipes to the muffler.
Would a custom be more expensive? Would it work? I may in up making the cheapest option, but I still like to explore all them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #4
J_C

^ If you go through a local seller to order the Walker parts and they aren't right, you should be able to tell by comparing them and return for a refund if wrong, though I could see this taking the vehicle out of commission if you can't put the old back on till a different part is sourced.

Regarding a Y-pipe, you don't mention your experience fabricating pipe or if you'd have someone do it, and I don't understand why you would want to restrict the exhaust flow using a Y-pipe and single cat, then another y-pipe for a dual inlet muffler, might as well have just gotten a single inlet muffler but generally customizing is to get more exahaust flow, not cause more restrictions.

I get that it means you'd only need one cat but universal cats are only $100 or so and it could take more work to make custom y-pipes that fit well and it may still create less ground clearance. I suppose if you've crawled under the vehicle and think it can be done, then my question is why are you asking here?

Does your '99 have 1, 3, or 4, O2 sensors? It seems you'll have to figure out what to do about those too. If you have an example of someone changing up their exhaust on a '99 SOHC, why not just follow that example, or you could link to it?

If I were to mod the exhaust, I think I'd sooner keep two cats, run two pipes to two smaller mufflers, then two pipes out the back w/o the resonator, although yours being a Sport, may not have the resonator like my 4-dr XLT does.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:51 PM   #5
Maniac72

Sorry for the confusion. That was an example from a forum I looked up awhile back and I thought was interesting. But I think I've settled on straight up having a shop replace the converters.

But if I could get one more piece of advice. The cats haven't thrown any codes but how can I check to make sure they're good?
Old 08-14-2017, 01:18 AM   #6
J_C

They're good if you aren't getting OBDII sensor error codes, BUT you could examine them for rust. If I were redoing an exhaust then the amount of rust would determine whether to replace or reuse them.