Explorer Died at stop light HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 08-09-2017, 10:23 PM   #1
sport40

Explorer Died at stop light HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys; was driving to work, pulled up to stop light and my X died. tried restarting no luck. pushed into lot, checked all fuses(all good). towed it home,discovered no sound from fuel pump,replaced relay under hood in fuse box. still no start, dropped tank and removed pump. no power to pump, are there ANY more relays?im replacing pump seems how tank is out. it has 174,000 miles on pump. ANY IDEAS?????????? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

sport40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
J_C

It is good to mention what year and engine you have. For many (if not all) the wiring is as follows:

Hot At All times to Fuse 9 - 20Amp

Light blue /orange wire from fuse to fuel pump relay

Dark green/yellow wire out of fuel pump relay should have 12V when pump should be on. Remember it's only going to come on for a moment when you try to start the vehicle then shut off till engine is started.

Dark green/yellow wire goes to inertia fuel cutoff switch, usually behind the right trim panel in the passenger footwell. You can also measure for 12V going into this, again for only the brief moment when you turn the key to start the engine, and measure for 12V coming out of the switch on the pink/black wire that goes to the fuel pump.

Once you determine, in that order, how far the power is getting using a multimeter, you can find the fault. Negative multimeter probe is connected to any ground wire or unpainted metal (chassis ground).

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #3
Hoopdaywhisperer

I know this may seem stupid but sometimes the most simple things are the answer. Especially here in New Jersey where there are potholes large enough to swallow whole vehicles but .. look at the passenger side kick panel just to make sure you didn't trip the fuel reset switch. It would explain no power to the pump and sometimes a large pothole or hitting a curb stop is enough to trigger the inertia swich. Before you spend a Ton of money or time and get aggrevation. Takes two seconds and that's my two cents.
Hoopdaywhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #4
sport40

LOL when pump went out it popped the switch up by passenger foot panel all good now. new pump, relay...thanks guys..
sport40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #5
Hoopdaywhisperer

Yeah I thought so. Always go simple first. Sometimes dumb luck is better than no luck. Glad you got it going. I have two 97 explorer and a 97 ranger and a 97 Explorer sport I just took off the road I'm using for parts so believe me. I've run into a whole lot of headaches and found that I just try to the stupid little things first and work.my way up.
Hoopdaywhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #6
AirForceVeteran

Happy endings are GREAT!!!