Front control arms upper and lower can i change ball joint and bushing on old arms? - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Go Back   Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts > ExplorerX Generations > 2nd Generation Explorers | 1995-2001

Old 02-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
MasterPepe

Front control arms upper and lower can i change ball joint and bushing on old arms?

They selling new control arms for $50-$100 each on rockauto however isn't it serviceable, can i am certain i can take old control arm replace bushings and ball joints and put it back?

If so where do i buy correct bushings and ball joints for 1998 explorer sport rock auto does not seem to sell them separately?

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
J_C

The upper control arms are designed to be non-servicable, you can't reasonably get new ball joints into the left one and (one half of, as it's a two piece design with adjustment possible) the right one.

You can buy aftermarket with ball joints permanently installed, or aftermarket with replaceable ball joints.

http://www.moogparts.com/pdf/did-you...K10_106_En.pdf

I think Moog, or maybe it was someone else, also sells a beefier severe service control arm and bushing combo, but I wouldn't bother unless you take it offroading a lot to the extent that you have a suspension lift and oversized tires.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
MasterPepe

For upper i can buy new control arm - should i go 2 piece or 1 piece design is there any difference i heard 2 piece is more adjustable?
If i decide go 2 piece i only see rockauto selling once piece with ball joint where do i get second piece?

For lower control arm where can i buy new ball joint i don't see any part numbers or sells?
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2017, 07:25 AM   #4
Docford

Here's what you do...
Covert the one piece control arm to a two piece.
Go to AutoZone and buy one upper control arm with the ball joint for the two piece design. It comes with a lifetime warranty. You don't even have to take the tire off to change it out after that lol.

Also now ull have caster adjustment on both front tires

Plus the AutoZone ones are greasable and Incredibly cheap.
For your lower ball joint look up the moog part number then call XRF and order there press in and you'll never worry about it again.
Docford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #5
Hoopdaywhisperer

You can't service the upper control arms but can do the lower and just change the lower ball joint out. A-m Auto parts has the whole kit with both upper control arms with upper ball joints installed and both lower ball joints and both inner and outer tie rod ends and I believe it has both stabilizer bar bushings as well. It's between 100-120 for the whole.thing. I did one of mine with it. Actually two of them. A 98 ranger and a 97 explorer sport.
Hoopdaywhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote