Fuel filter tool can anyone advice where to get one please? - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 05-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
andyandbecs

Fuel filter tool can anyone advice where to get one please?

Hi I took my beloved Explorer to our local garage for a fuel filter change as it has been playing up when starting (when warm especially) However they cant help as they couldnt get the tool!( Even though the filter isnt the same size it could be cable tied on if they could get the old one off. Iam exasperated! Our lovely reliable Ford has been with us for 15 years and has taken us 1000s of miles! It has 200,000 on the clock and badly needs a pick me up!! It has never let us down but Iam now finding stupid problems that will stop us being able to drive it For example this special toolor lack of it and also the key fob forthe central locking playing up so i cant even get in the vehicle at times!! (I have changed the battery) In this day of modern technology I am angry that i may have to give into my husband and give up the Explorer that he bought for me when expecting our third child just because of minor issues not the actual engine! PLEASE can anyone Help with suggestions or loan of the tool? many thanks Becs

andyandbecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
J_C

This isn't making much sense. There are TONS of ford vehicles with those quick disconnect filters, how can a shop stay in business if they don't have such a tool? Hmm maybe they lost it.

Anyway there are videos on youtube where you can cut apart a plastic marker to make one or just head over to amazon and search "Ford Fuel Filter Tool". You may not see those words in the product titles but all the tool is, is two halves of a cylinder shape that scissor together around the fuel filter fitting and slide in to release the locking mechanism. You can probably find youtube videos showing use of one if you need it but it's a pretty straightforward operation once you have the right tool.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Fuel-Line.../dp/B00YFRD1Y6

I don't know if any local auto parts stores carry it or not, you might call and ask or look on their websites.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:03 AM   #3
tregare

harbor freight tools sells a couple different sets of quick disconnect tools
tregare is offline   Reply With Quote