Low beams not working - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 03-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
cellvian106

Low beams not working

Hi guys, i have a 96 EB, and one night a couple months ago, my lowbeams turned off, I can still run highs, but people don't seem to like it much. the auto dim on the mirror and the switch both test out fine, does anyone have a thought to why this might be?

cellvian106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Stillaford
Site Team

It's called the "multi-function switch" and it is the main headlight selector/signal indicator unit on the column that goes bad(the whole stalk assembly). They're not terribly expensive or difficult to replace, just do a search and I'm sure you will find a DIY.

- Eugene Delacroix (1798 - 1863)
Stillaford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
cellvian106

the EB have a switch on the mirror that turns on headlights when needed, or we have a switch (not on the column) that turns on running lights and headlights. the brights however are on the multi function switch, but that works fine also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
99SportX

Send a message via AIM to 99SportX
I am fairly certain that the low beam circuit travels through this switch since it cuts off the low beams when the high beams are turned on. Assuming your wiring, relays, and fuses are good, the multifunction switch is usually the culprit when it comes to mysterious exterior lighting issues.
99 Mountaineer 5.0L V8 AWD

99SportX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
mickeymann

Since he has a EB edition, does he have the Lights out Module (LOM)? They are infamous for burning open on the LOM circuit board. The headlights go thru this module also.
mickeymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
cellvian106

After staring at a diagram for hours, i finally got both headlights working.
i did end up finding a post about the LOM, this was the first time i had heard about such module and from just reading what it does, i knew this was the problem right away.

there is a LOM bypass thread HERE

Module is under the console computer on the passenger side
To bypass:
splice wire: Light green/White with wire: Blue/white
splice wire: Green/blue with wire: Orange/Green

Note: The light green and white wire is the low-beam for left headlight, and the blue and green wire is low-beam for the right.

Note: you will also need to do this regardless if running HID's, working module or not.

This is the dumbest module ever created, it is nice to know if your headlight goes out, but this was more hassle then needed.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
mickeymann

Glad to see your problem has been resolved with the LOM. Great info for others in future references.
mickeymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #8
susanao111

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellvian106 View Post
After staring at a diagram for hours, i finally got both headlights working.
i did end up finding a post about the LOM, this was the first time i had heard about such module and from just reading what it does, i knew this was the problem right away.

there is a LOM bypass thread HERE

Module is under the console computer on the passenger side
To bypass:
splice wire: Light green/White with wire: Blue/white
splice wire: Green/blue with wire: Orange/Green

Note: The light green and white wire is the low-beam for left headlight, and the blue and green wire is low-beam for the right.

Note: you will also need to do this regardless if running HID's, working module or not.

This is the dumbest module ever created, it is nice to know if your headlight goes out, but this was more hassle then needed.
HI,
On my Ford Explorer 2002 XLT, I just replaced my faulty steering column with one I bought from Schram auto parts. All is working fine except only the high beams work. Can't put on the low beams. I am encouraged by what you posted. I am in Mexico with my U.S. Ford Explorer and need to share this with my mechanic who only speaks Spanish. I can translate what you wrote into Spanish and send it to him. The lights worked fine on my old steering column which the mechanic doesn't have any more. Would you suggest that it also has something to do with the fuses too? I know I can't make some other dashboard notices go away like the "door open" one and the one that says "Check Engine"
Please help. Thank you.
susanao111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high beam, lights, low beam