Starter breaker - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 09-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
eddyvandenberghe

Starter breaker

Hey,

I own a 4.0 V6 1997 Ford Explorer. Great car but someone stole my original key and key fob.
Since than the car does not start because the starter breaker is alarmed.
Who can tell me where I can find the starter breaker ? How can I overwrite or disarm or disconnect it ?

I have a copy of my key and I bought a new key fob.
The trick to marry the new key fob does not work (= by turning the key 8 times). Is that due to the fact that the starter breaker is alarmed ? I even had to pull out the plug from the horn because it does not stop !

Please answer me directely on my following adress :
eddy.vandenberghe123@hotmail.com

Very Kind regards,

Eddy Vandenberghe

eddyvandenberghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
eddyvandenberghe

Hey,

I own a 4.0 V6 1997 Ford Explorer. Great car but someone stole my original key and key fob.
Since than the car does not start because the starter breaker is alarmed.
Who can tell me where I can find the starter breaker IN THE CAR ? How can I overwrite or disarm or disconnect it ?

I have a copy of my key and I bought a new key fob.
The trick to marry the new key fob does not work (= by turning the key 8 times). Is that due to the fact that the starter breaker is alarmed ? I even had to pull out the plug from the horn because it does not stop !

Please answer me directely on my following adress :
eddy.vandenberghe123@hotmail.com

Very Kind regards,

Eddy Vandenberghe
eddyvandenberghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #3
J_C

Are you sure you're the owner?

As far as I know, there was no factory security based on the key until '98 called "PATS". On '98 the security disables the fuel injectors not starter. Starter interrupt wasn't until gen 3, 2002 IIRC.

I suspect you might have an aftermarket alarm and will need to ask the manufacturer or at least identify it. The same is true for the key fob, it is not needed to start the vehicle as it came from the factory so if it is needed it must be a 3rd party keyfob.

Once you identify the 3rd party security system, consult its installation manual and do the reverse to un-install it.

However, it is probably bypassing the starter relay so you could trace the starter relay wiring to see where it breaks it and controls switching, and just reconnect that wire without the security module, which is just the start of what I wrote above, beginning to un-install it.

It would be good for you to remove your email address from your post so it isn't harvested by spam-bots. Turn on email alerts for your profile and this topic and then you should get email notifications when people post replies.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote