02 Explorer brake light fuse location - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 02-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #1
02 Explorer brake light fuse location

I have an 02 Explorer and the brake light will not turn off even when the car is switched off. Can anyone tell me which fuse would control this so I can check it. Thanks for any additional info!

southexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #2
The only thing a fuse would do is fail and that would result in no brake light, not the light staying on. You wrote brake "light" not "lightS", does this mean only one is staying on?

If only one is staying on, the only thing I would guess could cause that is the cause I'll write below for both brake lights staying on, except that with them both staying on, it has caused one to burn out already.

Both staying on would probably be the brake pedal switch failing or getting stuck. If just stuck you might spray some dry silicone lubricant on its plunger/shaft to see if it moves better.

Obviously I am assuming there is no problem with the brake pedal return action, that it's not just the switch working as it should because the brake pedal is sunk further than it should be, which you can check with a helper, have one person pull up on the brake pedal while another is looking at the brake lights to see if they go off.
Please post your vehicle year/model/engine/(n)WD in help topics.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote