Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts  

Go Back   Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts > ExplorerX Generations > 3rd Generation Explorers

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 02:00 AM   #1
Judeus

Judeus
For some reason my "check gas cap" light is on. I checked my gas cap and it's on there tight. What could the problem be?

Old 05-23-2007, 04:23 AM   #2
A.J.

A.J.
Send a message via Yahoo to A.J.
The 'check gas cap' warning is an emissions related message. It implies that the tank cannot be pressurized (slightly), therefore, the most probable cause is a loose gas cap.

You will sometimes get this message if the air temperature around the car changes greatly, and this results in a slight negative pressure in the fuel tank.

Winter weather can sometimes trigger this as well. Have you had a cold snap in your area recently?

You may also have to reset the warning light. There are two ways this can be done...one, use a OBD II scanner. (You can purchase these for as little as $20) or two, you can simply disconnect your battery, turn on the headlight switch for about five to ten minutes, and re-connect the battery. This is pretty simple, but will likely result in you losing your radio presets and perhaps some other small things like that.

A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
IAmTodd
Site Team

IAmTodd is on a distinguished road
if the condition is corrected it will eventually go out by itself as well. I believe after 3 successful start ups it will disappear.

2006 Saab 9-3 Aero | 2.8 Full pressure turbo | 6MT | 280whp/325wtq
IAmTodd is offline   Reply With Quote