Explorer Talk banner

I sunk my 05 4x4 explorer

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  J_C 
#1 · (Edited)
I sunk my 2005 4x4 explorer

I sunk my 05 explorer today, the first thing i did was pull the spark plugs and remove the air filter hose from the throttle body (water got in through the air box.) i got the motor to turn by hand and i got most of the water out that way. tomorrow i will drain the engine and the transmission fluid but my know how with the matter ends there. what is my next step?

#2 ·
You probably want to flush all the brake lines too, first sucking out the fluid in the reservoir and topping off with fresh fluid beforehand. All fluids basically including power steering.

Then there is mold and mildew. They make a spray *cleaner*, sold at some hardware stores that kills fungus, and you'll want a fan and hopefully dehumidifier to get the interior dry as fast as reasonably possible. Up to you whether to pull carpet or blot it, and I would test an inconspicuous area blotting the headliner as that can destroy the foam above it if it has gotten brittle from ageing.

You might also find that water got into electrical connectors. I don't know how deep the water was, but I'd think about pulling and inspecting the (at least) two major wire bundle connectors that are probably under the hood.

I'm not sure if the relays are sealed or if you might have issues with them too, basically once you have the engine oil and tranny fluid changed you can go from there on what isn't working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.