Instruments NOT Working - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 08-06-2017, 07:28 AM   #1
george4

Instruments NOT Working

05 Ford Explorer had a body lift and a new bumper installed. Now the Tach, Speedometer and the Temp gauge fail to work. Additionally the check gage, check brakes and the battery icon are all lit up. And the digital read out is not functioning properly.

The car starts and the Maf is still working. The car functions as normal with the exceptions noted above.

The car has been in 3 shops and it is driving me crazy.

I look forward to your help.

george4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
J_C

Do you mean that all this stopped working immediately after the body lift was done? If so then I suspect there wasn't enough slack in some wiring, or a wire strayed from where it should be and got snagged.

This is just speculation, first I'd check the interior fuse panel fuses and find the appropriate wiring diagram to trace the circuit. I'd also check the battery voltage, low battery can make several electronic circuits act wonky... should be 12.6V charged and vehicle off, closer to 14.4V running. However I think battery is less likely since it runs ok, but it's a quick easy thing to check just to rule out.

You might also check a couple of bulk wire harness connectors in the engine bay, up near the firewall, one on it and one probably just near it, both towards the top. I'm only speculating about location, not owning an '05.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote