Parking brake problem - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 11-16-2017, 11:38 PM   #1
Phil02

Parking brake problem

So all of a sudden you have to manually push in the parking brake release lever for is to grab when you press down the foot lever. I looked under there and can see where a spring should be but can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have any idea how big, strong of a spring this is? I can't fine mention of it in any parts lists that I find on line. The weird thing is I can't find the old spring anywhere under there but it was there up until about 5 days ago.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
J_C

Are you saying it was there because the parking brake worked okay or because you remember seeing it?

Some have a spring on the cable under the vehicle, though I don't necessarily mean that's the only one and if there are two it's probably not the one to return the pull shaft to the inward position.

If there was a spring on the release lever shaft, you might check whether the end of that shaft comes off the piece it hooks into in the rear or is pressed in, in a way where it could be a problem trying to get it out, put a spring on, and put it back in.

AFAIK the entire thing is sold as an assembly, no spring sold separately. That spring being coiled around the shaft (if present on your vehicle's design), I don't see anywhere it could go except sliding to the back of the shaft if the stop/piece on the shaft had broken off. If the stop on the shaft isn't there then you'll need to add something to do that, maybe welded on or a little hose clamp or ???

Then again I could be wrong, could be thinking of an older generation. This seller shows a different spring /assembly setup but the compatibility details only go back to 2005. Anyway if yours is set up like that, the pic shows where the spring on it is and it is a listing for just the spring:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Ranger...-/162567181755

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
J_C

As far as how big and strong, you could just take a ruler and measure the point to point distance it needs to span and the type of mounting it has, then head to a better stocked hardware store with fingers crossed. I would expect a replacement spring of roughly the same size to have a workable tension strength, none of them look unusually thick or thin for their size... maybe a single-digit ~6 pounds pull (I don't know how to rate that for a spring, lol).

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #4
Phil02

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_C View Post
As far as how big and strong, you could just take a ruler and measure the point to point distance it needs to span and the type of mounting it has, then head to a better stocked hardware store with fingers crossed. I would expect a replacement spring of roughly the same size to have a workable tension strength, none of them look unusually thick or thin for their size... maybe a single-digit ~6 pounds pull (I don't know how to rate that for a spring, lol).
The spring he is showing is the one I need. The interesting thing in the pictures is that the spring attached to the lever is a different size that the one in the picture shown separately. The good thing is that it gives me some idea of size. I'll be going to the hardware store tomorrow. I shouldn't be that hard to find something that will work. Thanks for the input, always helps. You have a lot of knowledge about these cars and it is appreciated.