Stalling/gas gauge problems - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 05-05-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
Kdavidson

Stalling/gas gauge problems

Hi everyone, I was hoping you could help me. I bought a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT (with a salvage title) about 6 months ago and within the past month have had problems with it. The fuel gauge wouldn't register that I filled up the gas tank, but would slowly move to full as I continued driving. Recently, though, the car has begun stalling while I've been driving. It's happened twice so far. It hasn't happened on the highway yet (thank God), but at speeds of 30 mph or so. The car starts up fine afterwards. I took it to the mechanic and they checked all of the sensors and said everything was just fine. They couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Well, yesterday the engine light finally came on and is throwing the code P0463 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input.

Do you think it's safe to say I need to replace the entire fuel pump? I found a pretty good price online for a Spectra Premium SP2075M Fuel Pump Assembly.

Kdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #2
J_C

No, it is safe to say that you need a new fuel sender unit due to the problem registering fuel level and the trouble code, but the pump could work fine independent of that problem happening.

I mean it could be the wire to it or corroded connector but the only way to know is inspect that and check with a multimeter as you move the sender float through its range to see if it's varying resistance correctly, or if you see no fault to just replace it and see if that fixed it.

However, yes it is possible your fuel pump itself is failing and causing this, it's a good possibility but I just wouldn't be surprised if it's something else instead. However, with the vehicle now a dozen years old and considering that you have pull the tank anyway to replace the sender, then yes I would replace the fuel pump while you're at it.

For what it's worth, people seem to have better luck with Walbro, Bosch, or AC Delco, and worse luck with Airtex and Spectra. Then again, it could just be that they all have their share of premature failures and it just happened to be that more buyers found themselves on an Explorer web forum to talk about it.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #3
Kdavidson

Update: I replaced the fuel pump assembly and everything has been working great! I bought it off Amazon for about $100 cheaper than what Autozone was selling it for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2017, 02:20 PM   #4
J_C

Good to hear. Yeah I find Autozone is convenient but expensive, end up buying more from Amazon or Rock Auto, or sometimes Advance Auto Parts when they have a good enough coupon code to get the price down far enough that I'll pay a little more to get one sooner...

It's nice to have more vehicles than drivers so that becomes less important, though you then have more vehicles to maintain and insure.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:22 AM   #5
Kdavidson

Update: After several weeks of no problems, the car died on me while I was going 75 mph on a 3 lane highway. NOT GOOD. I was able to get to the left shoulder, thankfully. I am getting a new error code so I believe this is a separate issue from the fuel pump. I am getting the "Engine failsafe mode" code which I've been reading may be the throttle body. The dealership is diagnosing it for me today.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
J_C

What did the problem turn out to be?

Old 07-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #7
Kdavidson

The Ford dealership diagnosed it as the throttle body, which I replaced myself (it's extremely easy to do, I can't believe the dealership wanted nearly $1000 to do it!!). I decided I've had enough with the car and will be selling it for something with better gas mileage (I drive 80 miles every day).
Old 07-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #8
J_C

Well, yeah a full sized SUV is going to cost a lot in fuel, especially if you're going that fast which they aren't optimally geared, and have lousy aerodynamics for, nevermind the aggressive AT tires some owners choose (which I find useful in snow, one of two reasons I'll drive my older Explorer with the other being hauling dirty or stinky loads). At least gas is cheap now compared to where it was a while back in the US.