explorer 5.0 V8 1999 - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 03-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
paolomn
paulmn

explorer 5.0 V8 1999

Hello.
I own a 5.0 V8 explorer, I need help! the engine loses hits! I replaced the fuel filter, the spark plugs, cables and coils, a little has improved, but the problem persists!
it always worked well, now it has 150,000 km;
what other problem can it be?

paolomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2018, 12:06 AM   #2
J_C

Is the Check Engine Light on? I would hook up an OBDII scan tool to pull the codes. If there are none set, look at the pending codes, or even better if the tool can show live data, look at the data for example the long term fuel trims, which shouldn't be much from zero once it has warmed up.

Offhand, you can check the fuel pressure to determine it's in the right range, and look around for vac leaks, which should also be indicated by the fuel trim numbers. If nothing connected to the intake appears leaking but it's too lean then probably an intake manifold leak and needs new gaskets.

Another possibility would be a head issue, blown head gasket, warped or cracked head. You could do a leak down or cylinder compression test. That would have been handy to do when the spark plugs were being changed, but if you get this far then when pulling them out, observe whether any look different as a sign of the cylinder not firing, but likely the scan tool live data would also indicate that.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:28 AM   #3
paolomn
paulmn

the engine warning light is on! I do not think to find a specialized workshop with the tool to pull the codes; I checked, it's not a problem of loss from the manifold or head gasket; the engine does not lose power, when it does not cough the engine runs well with and powerful, it is not choked!
could it be a problem in the petrol pump? where is the pressure gauge connected to check the petrol pressure?
Many thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2018, 06:03 AM   #4
J_C

The fuel rail above the engine has a schrader valve to check fuel pressure. A suitable pressure gauge for fuel will come with this connection.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #5
paolomn
paulmn

I have a vague feeling that the problem is the fuel pump ... I try to check if the pressure is constant at the injectors;
another idea that came to me is that there is water in the petrol, but the filter under the car,I replaced it;
is there any other filter or pump?
thank you very much
Old 03-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #6
J_C

Only 1 filter and 1 pump in the tank. You can rule out both the pump and filter by checking the fuel pressure.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:32 PM   #7
paolomn
paulmn

continues the headache... the engine sobbing, coughing more and more, I double-checked everything, replaced with new ones: petrol filter, spark plugs, wires, coils; then done the gas pressure test, constant around 4.5 bar; I found a mechanic who connected the computer and the alarm code corresponds to: cam position transmission error;
the local mechanical technician can not solve! now only good technical advice can help me get out of this story!
thank you, thank you very much
Old 05-16-2018, 09:28 PM   #8
J_C

^ What is the exact OBD2 code shown by the computer?

It is possible that you need a Camshaft Position Sensor, but the mechanic should have known that!

Old 05-17-2018, 05:56 AM   #9
paolomn
paulmn

hello,
in this corner of the world there are no prepared mechanics, this explorer is rare to see! luck was finding this mechanic who has the computer to read, he told me he logs error of
Camshaft Position Sensor;
can it be that if faulty from this kind of inconvenience the engine sobbing and coughing?
What is the name of this part to buy?
thank You very much
Old 05-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #10
J_C

Camshaft Position Sensor, you need to determine if it is the 2 pin or 3 pin type:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...on+sensor,7192

It would be better to have the exact OBD2 trouble code from the mechanic instead of his conclusion, especially if he was unfit to do the repair based on the conclusion. Whether an Explorer is rare there or not, any competent mechanic should be able to figure out a camshaft sensor problem based on the code plus live running data, and replace it.

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/B...ensor-Symptoms