Extra Keys - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 02-10-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
whoathere

Send a message via AIM to whoathere
This isn't exactly a DIY Guide, but I'm guessing it will become with, or at least hoping it will...

Anyway, my Mounty only came with 1 key, and I hear that it's really expensive to get another key made if you only have 1. I really don't feel safe only have 1 key, and I want to see what my options are. I know that the PATS keys have a sensor, but I'm curious as to how the ignition reads that sensor... For some reason, I think I remember reading that the sensor just has to be near the ignition? Is there some way I can just get more keys cut and either program them myself, or kinda ghetto rig it so that more than 1 key will work? Any opinions or comments would be greatly appreciated..

2001 Mountaineer. 5.0 AWD- MAC Intake, AMSOIL Synthetic Oil, 96,000 miles.

2000 Explorer Sport. 4.0 OHV, 70,xxx miles. Finally gone as of March 10th!!! more mods for mounty!
whoathere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
jays97X

Send a message via AIM to jays97X
I sorta see what your saying. Basically get the sensor out of the 1 key you have and hide it near the ignition somewhere so any key that you get cut will work? Am i on the right track!??
Old 02-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
whoathere

yessir!

2000 Explorer Sport. 4.0 OHV, 70,xxx miles. Finally gone as of March 10th!!! more mods for mounty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
jays97X

If your sure it only has to be near the ignition go for it. just hide your current key in the column somewhere. And tell whomever makes the key for you "don't worry about the pats module"
Old 02-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
celly
stop your whining

I hate to play Devil's Advocate, but you're probably better off paying someone to get you a 2nd key programmed, then score a pile of cheap blanks on eBay and program them yourself (takes less than 30 seconds to do it yourself). I just got the keys cut at Walmart and they don't even charge me for that because I supplied my own blanks.
99 Eddie, AWD 5.0, Torque Monster Headers, 1" Trick Flow UI spacer, Custom Volant intake (incl C&L MAF body), Flo-Pro catback, XC2 w/3 Henson tunes, EE airdam, ported/polished TB, Morimoto retrofit Projector headlights, 4300K HID, EE swaybar, Bilstein shocks, SS Speed Grille, Powerslot Rotors/Hawk Pads etc. etc. Amsoil everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by definitive stereo View Post
canadians like you is the reason i hate canadians.
celly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
whoathere

Quote:
If your sure it only has to be near the ignition go for it. just hide your current key in the column somewhere. And tell whomever makes the key for you "don't worry about the pats module"

Thats what I was thinking, I have a guy that owns his own lock and key place, so I can get keys cut no problem.

Celly: What do you have to do in the programming that would require a second key? I know I have heard of this before, but just wondering what requires the two keys to be able to program a 3rd.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
celly
stop your whining

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking, I have a guy that owns his own lock and key place, so I can get keys cut no problem.

Celly: What do you have to do in the programming that would require a second key? I know I have heard of this before, but just wondering what requires the two keys to be able to program a 3rd.

You have to install one key in the ignition, then turn it on and off. Then install second key on and off. Then insert key to be programmed on and off and voila.

It's Ford's way of preventing someone from stealing your existing key and making a copy. Makes sense in theory, but can cause grief if you lose a key obviously.

Here are the full instructions (I keep this in a note in Outlook for future reference):

PATS Key Programming

------------------------------

**You must have two original keys to perform this procedure. If you only have one key, you WILL have to take it to the dealer to get it programmed**

1. Insert and existing (working) key into the ignition cylinder.

2. Turn the ignition cylinder ON (RUN) and back to OFF. Ignition should stay on for at least ONE SECOND.

3. Remove the existing key and, within TEN seconds, insert a second working key and turn it to ON (RUN) and the back OFF. Ignition must be in ON for at least ONE second, but no more than TEN seconds. Remove the key.

4. Insert the new key before TWENTY seconds have elapsed and turn it to ON (RUN). Leave it the ON position for at least ONE second and turn back to OFF.

5. The security light will light up for THREE seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully programmed.

6. To program additional keys, repeat steps 1 through 5

99 Eddie, AWD 5.0, Torque Monster Headers, 1" Trick Flow UI spacer, Custom Volant intake (incl C&L MAF body), Flo-Pro catback, XC2 w/3 Henson tunes, EE airdam, ported/polished TB, Morimoto retrofit Projector headlights, 4300K HID, EE swaybar, Bilstein shocks, SS Speed Grille, Powerslot Rotors/Hawk Pads etc. etc. Amsoil everywhere.
Quote:
Old 02-10-2007, 02:53 PM   #8
whoathere

Is it true that it's really expensive to have a key programmed when you only have 1 key? It might be worth it tho in the end to just have the 2nd key programmed and then do the others myself.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
celly
stop your whining

Quote:
Is it true that it's really expensive to have a key programmed when you only have 1 key? It might be worth it tho in the end to just have the 2nd key programmed and then do the others myself.

I've heard the dealers will gouge you on programming a key and will charge an arm and a leg for the blank itself. If I were you I'd score some blanks on eBay first. I think I paid something like 2 for $10 plus a marginal amount for shipping. I think the blanks go for $25/each at the stealerships. Anyone can cut the key itself (as mentioned, Walmart does mine). Supposedly, certain locksmiths are able to program a second key for you (as an alternative to dealers), so you might talk to your locksmith buddy about it or call around to some other locksmiths and price compare. Call several stealerships too to see what they're charging.
Quote:
Old 02-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
jays97X

Im with celly, I would talk around. word of mouth will find someone who knows someone that can give you a deal on programming them.

Just my $.02