My Ford Explorer XLT and its Owner - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 08-11-2017, 10:33 PM   #1
Mainman407

My Ford Explorer XLT and its Owner

Hello, Fellow Ford (Explorer) enthusiast. My ride is a 96 Ford Explorer XLT with around 138,000 miles; and so far its bed a pretty reliable vehicle. But like anything with age, those pops, bangs, and creaks are getting more and more frequent. Anyway, she ain't dead yet and she ain't ready to give up the ghost as long as she has one quart of oil in her.

My name is Anthony K. and I live in the Upstate of South Carolina. So, I hope that I can provide you guys with some knowledge about Fords that I have learned over the past 20 years along with you guys helping me. And boy do I need it.

Mainman407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM   #2
AirForceVeteran

can you share any specifics? I bought my 1998 XLT AWD with the 4.0L V6, ice cold A/C, new tires, missing a radio, needed two door handles, for $900 in cash. It needed one door speaker, that was super cheap on ebay (about $9 shipped).

An AM/FM/CD stereo radio was $26 on Walmart's website, with free shipping. The door handles were about $4 each online. The seller changed out the dash cluster, and the cruise buttons were worn bare.
New set of Cruise Control buttons and cables is less than $75 on line.

Check the VIN for all recalls, that are FREE at the dealer, BEFORE any repairs are started, unless they are needed to make her run!!!

Anyway, when I search on Craigs list, for any vehicle, I modify the price to be all offered at, say, $1500.00 Usually, in my city/county, Craigs list shows over 11,400 vehicles! They include many offered for financing by dealers, with $1,000 down... I eliminate Dealers, and it drops to about 7,000 vehicles, and some are broken. Anyway, we have bought our six current family fleet of vehicles on
Craigs List, and all were fantastic bargains, that run great!

As far as we can estimate, on two of these vehicles, that have had their instrument clusters changed out by previous owners, they typically have under 180,000 miles on them.

With fuel injection, and some regular maintenance, and running the lambswool oil filters, such as Fram Ultra Synthetic, and the Walmart (Shell Oil Products) full synthetic 5W20, the oil and filter only gets changed on our fleet, once a year, or at 15,000 miles/ 24,000 km! just like all US Government fleet vehicles! The Warranty is on the filter box!!!

Our oil changes run $26.xx a YEAR per vehicle!!! There are great savings if you invest a small bit of time and effort into doing your own maintenance! Welcome, Anthony K.!