Explorer Talk banner

2006 Eddie Bauer fuel gauge

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  J_C 
#1 ·
Good day everyone. Just came into a 2006 Explorer and the fuel gauge has an issue. I got it from my father so I know he has replaced the sending unit 2 times and had the gauge “tested” by the dealer. The problem is when you fill it up the gauge reads full. After about 5 gallons it reads half the drops to low and displays the low fuel warning. Thoughts?

#2 ·
I am confused, how can a dealer test and not find the problem?

Did your father put on a low quality sender and keep replacing it with the same under warranty? Perhaps it was just junk or the wrong part # for the application?

All I can suggest is replacing the sending unit again. I mean you could measure the resistance changing on the sending unit by rigging up wires but it seems to be sending a signal to get a progressively lower tank reading so what remains is replacing it.

If it were instead intermittently showing no fuel then showing the correct amount, I would suspect wire or connector damage a little more but not with the consistent behavior you're describing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.