2008 explorer xlt sputtered / died unexpectedly- no start - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 12-22-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
resq302

2008 explorer xlt sputtered / died unexpectedly- no start

So one of the cops I work with wifes 2008 explorer xlt with the 4.0 V-6 engine just had her engine die. The vehicle has 170,000 miles and she said it was driving along till it started sputtering and died. I went over to his house today to diagnose it as I work on cars on the side and found that it cranks over fine but when I turn the key on, I don't hear the fuel pump turn on and pressurize the system. I plugged my scan tool in the car and pulled code P0191 that says fuel rail pressure sensor ckt range / perf. That was the only code. Could it be the module for the fuel pump? If so, where is that so I can check for voltage at that?

resq302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2017, 11:08 PM   #2
J_C

Module for fuel pump? What is this? Typically a pump circuit has a fuse, relay (both illustrated in the owner's manual), a collision cutout switch (often in passenger footwell area) and a run to the in-tank pump.

Using a multimeter you can check each of these things, 12V going into fuse, 12V out of fuse, swapping in another known good relay from the relay box (or measuring 12V in on appropriate relay contact and a coil voltage when pump should be on.

The collision switch should have 12V in (these all relative to chassis ground) the moment the pump should turn on when ignition is turned (I don't know how much you know about this subsystem), and 12V out. If the switch was triggered there is a reset on it. After pushing the reset (if it triggered) you should measure continuity (very low resistance) across its input and output pins. If you already have continuity it didn't trigger. If it were much older there might be a concern about contact resistance but it's seldom the case before the rest of a vehicle rusts out.

If you have 12V out to the pump then it's either wiring damage to it, corrosion on the connector, pump itself has failed, or the pressure regulator in the tank has failed. Since you don't hear the pump (might need to have an ear next to the tank, might not be able to hear it in the driver's seat) it's probably not the pressure regulator.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:36 PM   #3
resq302

JC,

My old 2005 F150 had a fuel pump module that was mounted onto the frame and the salt from the roads in the winter finally ate away at the aluminum housing and caused it to crack which broke the circuit board. I was under the assumption that they Explorers had the same module as the Expeditions have this module also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2017, 11:57 PM   #4
J_C

Oh do you mean an anti-theft module? They may have one of those. Some were mounted on top of the tank or right next to it but I don't know about that recent a model year.

Is there an in-vehicle access panel to the fuel tank? If not you could try tracing the wires under the vehicle or drop the tank. I would sooner expect the pump itself than that module (if present) if it's not mounted in a visible location where road sludge/degris/etc can pelt it more.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:24 AM   #5
resq302

I wouldn't consider it to be an anti-theft module. Its called a fuel pump drive module. It has a flat / wide 4 wire plug on it and a black plastic cover with an aluminum housing. http://www.rockauto.com/info/22/FD10..._P01__ra_t.jpg

I was wondering where that part was located on the car so I can hopefully rule that out. If it is in the deteriorated condition that mine was, it most likely is the culprit since here in NJ they heavily salt the roads this time of year.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:42 AM   #6
J_C

That should be on top of the frame above the spare tire. I agree that is a likely suspect.

Your link is to a tiny thumbnail but I see it at this link:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....sn=259&jsn=259

Old 12-23-2017, 12:44 AM   #7
resq302

yup. That is the part that was on my 2005 F150 that was mounted to the frame near the spare tire that ended up breaking in half due to the corrosion from the salt on the roads. I'll check near the spare tire on the explorer.

Thanks.