Should the '08 lift gate glass raise by itself? - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 09-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #1
WhiskeyFace

Should the '08 lift gate glass raise by itself?

I just bought a 2008 XLT 4x4 (49,000 miles!), and I'm still getting to know it. When I use the remote to release the lift gate glass, is it supposed to go all the way up? Mine doesn't, but the hydraulics hold it well when it's up there. I just wonder if a newer/stronger piston would lift it for me. Thanks for the help

WhiskeyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
J_C

I forget when the motorized lift gate feature came to be. When motorized, there should be an adjustment for the max height it will go so it doesn't hit anything above it.

When not motorized, and now at almost 10 years old, either someone could have put the wrong strut supports on it that are too short so it can't go all the way up, or there is some damage in one effecting its travel range, or there might also be some way to limit its travel range even though it isn't motorized (though I've never heard of this on an explorer).

When I wrote damage above, I also meant wear. If these are the factory struts they are probably worn out. See if you can lift it higher than the struts alone do, without much resistance. If they are merely weak, do replace them. They will probably only get weaker as the colder winter months roll in.

Try to avoid the generic brands at local auto parts stores. I got some "Mighty Lift" for my hood at Autozone and they fail every 3 years or so. No wonder they started decreasing their lifetime warranty down to 1 year.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:12 PM   #3
WhiskeyFace

Thanks for your response! I might have worded that question too vaguely. I can tell the lift gate is not motorized. I'm only talking about the glass portion. I know it's not motorized, but I wonder if the hydraulics lift it after the lock releases it.
WhiskeyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
J_C

Yes the glass uses a gas pressurized lift support /strut that should raise the glass, though you might need to move it a little to get it started, probably designed for safety so it doesn't wack people in the head, lol.

I would avoid Autozone's Mightylift brand. I have those for hood struts on my '98 and they only last about 3 years... over and over I've replaced those because back when I bought them they had a lifetime warranty. Fortunately they are quick and easy to replace and autozone is right up the road from me.

Anyway if it were me, for an '08 rear glass I'd try these:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....sn=584&jsn=584

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote