Explorer Talk banner

not sure were this would go, camping in truck while running.

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ExploderMRC 
#1 ·
im not sure were to put this but had this idea yesterday. could there be a way to use a remote start setup to start the car when coolant temp is "safe" and turn it off when it gets to "warm"? this would give me the ability to sleep more comfortable in hot/cold conditions and keep it more family friendly. comfort has lead to me taking more trips by myself recently.

when i go to races and what not my wife will need to go to the car for extended periods of time to put our daughter down for a nap escape misquitos etc. I have ac in my trailer but i don;t like sleeping in it and hauling a generator around is a pain.

I helped a friend install a turbo timer the other day on his diesel, and remeber when my dad bought his f350 van(diesel) it had a warning to not let it idle for more then 9 hours continuous without the ambulance package. how long is too long when idling and the ac on? I watch the gauge and it never really moves. but i turn it off every 15 minutes or so.

im not looking to overheat my truck but it seems cooling systems are way better now a days. with an electric booster fan and the proper precautions i don;t see why this couldn;t work, but im curious the best way to do it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Conig,

I have a DEI Viper alarm system on my 2001 (I forget the model, but it was the best one you could buy in 2002). It has remote start where you push lock and unlock at the same time to remote start the engine. But it also has another feature where if you push AUX, then press lock and unlock at the same time it will start the engine, let it run for 12 minutes (you can change this time with a programmer) then shut it off for 2 hours and then run it for another 12 minutes. It will keep doing this for 24 hours or until you stop it. Maybe a system like that would work for you?

My old roommate had a full sized pickup, and had a camper he'd put in the back when he went out camping or whatever. He put a remote start control panel type of thing in the camper so he could start the engine and basically treat it like a generator.

#3 ·
thats eaxctly what i was looking for thanks. ill have to test it for a while to get it set up. but i would think 15 minutes of every 30 minutes would be sufficient.

#4 ·
thats eaxctly what i was looking for thanks. ill have to test it for a while to get it set up. but i would think 15 minutes of every 30 minutes would be sufficient.
15 minutes out of every 30? That's 50% run time - seems like a lot of fuel to burn, but whatever works for you I guess. Just make sure you don't run it out of fuel by morning.

Looks like someone is selling a Viper system, I think this is the same one that I have on mine:

http://forums.explorertalk.com/index.php?showtopic=13276

I think I paid $700-900 to have it installed brand new, but I'm sure it can be done much cheaper nowadays. When I got mine done they were having some kind of promotion where if you have yours installed by a certified Viper install shop and your car gets stolen then DEI will pay your insurance deductible. I don't know if that's still the case or not though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.