Reverse sensing system problem - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 03-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
jwisejr

Reverse sensing system problem

as of lately the dash switch keeps going to "off" on its own. When I try to engage the switch it pops back to "off" again; what is going on ? Ref: 2003 Explorer XLT

jwisejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
J_C

I'm not familiar with the switch for that, is it something that mechanically catches then is supposed to be pushed again to be turned off, or is it only a momentary type switch and by "off" you mean the function is off, not the switch position or light for it (whichever) ?

I would pull the switch out, substitute a (random, whatever I could get cheap) switch of the same type (momentary or latching and same # of poles) to see if it works right, before committing to finding and buying a exact replacement switch.

Then again I have a lot of switches from my electronics projects, if I didn't then I might see if a local junkyard had a vehicle with one, that vehicle being one still closed up with doors/windows/windshield/etc still so rain hadn't potentially corroded things like interior switches.

Sometimes if you're good at microsurgery you can pop a switch open and check its integrity, clean contacts, lube it, whatever, though more and more often in recent years they are molded together and the plastic has gotten brittle with age so it's getting rarer to be able to service one.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote