Air Con Problem 2012 explorer - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 12-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #1
enerlevel

Air Con Problem 2012 explorer

hi all,
i am going to buy a ford explorer 2012 in 2 weeks. however, i might need some expert opinion regarding this specific car which i have my eyes on ...

1) the AirCon works perfectly, cold air etc however i did notice that the fan blower seems to be weak... at 1-3 level settings, there is hardly any air flow and at the highest level, i can feel the air but the Ac fan blower noise is just too loud...
any idea what could be the issue?

2) i noticed that all the Air Con related piping under the hood has water droplets.. is that normal?

3) Seller says that it might be AC gas problem and that a normal refill will make it perfect... but if the gas is less or needs refill, will the air from the Air con still be cold? because my problem is the air flow and not hot air...

4) do i need a new fan blower? and if so, where is this located in the car?

thanks...

enerlevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2017, 11:17 PM   #2
J_C

1) The issue could be that you get not much air on low setting because it's low? Lots of noise on high means that's why there's a lower setting than high if you want it quieter? If it is air noise that is normal, though you might want to replace the cabin air filter and check for leaf/etc debris buildup in the intake. If the noise is more of a vibration or squealing then the motor might be worn.

2) Yes the line will condense moisture out of the air. Some vehicles have foam insulation over it. Maybe that one did too and it just came off. You could try putting foam on it and if it makes it run irregularly then take it back off. You can get 4 feet of foam plumbing tubing from a hardware store for $1 then secure it with nylon wire ties, or don't... if it's cold you don't really "need" to do that, it just increases efficiency a little and keeps water from dropping off onto the engine bay components (when parked, when driving the airflow probably dries it off).

3) Seller said this in response to you questioning 1) and 2) or for some other reason? No neither of those things indicates low refrigerant level. Short cycling of the A/C could, as well as inadequate cooling performance, or if the line was freezing up, literally frost forming on the outside of it when it isn't very cold out (and maybe not even then if it's external temperature regulated).

4) Per #1) above you probably don't need a new blower. They are usually mounted on the firewall towards the top, will be a circular plate, maybe 9" in diameter or so with the motor end sticking out as a roughly 3" diameter circular protrusion. You can look the part up on a site like www.rockauto.com for your model year and engine to see pictures of it.

If the cabin air filter has never been replaced then I would go ahead and do that. None of these issues seem to be anything that should dissuade you from purchase, though if the seller thinks maybe the AC charge is low, you could try to argue for a few dollars lower selling price based on that belief, lol.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:10 AM   #3
enerlevel

Hi
Thanks for the detailed message.
I am not having any problems with cool air or any noise etc. The only problem is that at lower air blower settings, the air flow is very low as if itís being restricted by something.
For example I my other Honda car, I usually use either 1 or 2 level of fan speed however I noticed that with the explorer, 1-2 level is very restricted although the compressor and the blower itself is making the same amount of noise...

Also The cabin filter might be clogged or dirty however am using the circulating air mode.. is the filter actually being used in that mode?

Thanks
enerlevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
J_C

I don't know if the filter is used in recirculation mode, would go ahead and check it and the intake for leaves, mouse nest, etc. If the motor isn't making undue squealing or vibration it would seem to be working fine still.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote