Battery positive terminal assembly - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 03-25-2018, 07:08 PM   #1
Guest2

Battery positive terminal assembly

Can someone direct me to what I need to purchase to repair or replace the positive battery terminal on my 2012 Explorer SUV. It has a red plastic cap and it was total corroded with blue acid hair and half of the terminal that attaches to the battery terminal is gone. No connection at all. It has several other connections and a couple small nuts on it and I have cleaned the corrosion but can not find a replacement part that looks like it online.
Any help or pictures of what I need to replace is appreciated.
It is not a standard old battery terminal connector like the negative post connector is.
HELP!

Guest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #2
J_C

Yes, the good news is that Ford designed it with a current measurement feature to alter the alternator charging strategy which probably results in 0.1MPG better fuel economy which can add up over decades.

The bad news is it is more vulnerable to acid decay and very expensive to replace compared to a standard battery cable clamp. I don't know if you can get the separate pieces to DIY replace only the rotten parts or have to replace the whole thing.

See if you can find the part # on it somewhere. They might have used one design for a couple years then switched it on the '13 year models. Whether that matters I do not know. The '13-'16 part number looks like WC-96257

The best I can tell the whole thing is part # CB5Z14300A, but I don't know why it looks so different than the '13-16 so I might be having the same problem you are, not being able to find it. It looks like they also came out with newer revisions of it in ending not in "A" but rather "B" and "C", maybe "D" and so on by now.

Maybe it's not even the right part but there are large price fluctuations between these depending on where you buy them, ranging from about $165 to over $300 including shipping.

You might try calling a Ford dealer service center as they should have exploded parts diagrams with part #s. Hopefully they will at least tell you the part # you need for the whole thing OR if you can identify to them separate replaceable sections. If a section bolts on or plugs in then maybe it's replaceable as a separate part but I doubt you're going to be able to find just the clamp assembly without the cables.

Frankly since these vehicles aren't very old yet, I would use an online parts database or call around to local junkyards to find one that has an '11 or '12 Explorer and harvest as much of the cable assembly off of it that you need.

Once you get it installed, I would try using felt battery terminal protectors and a liberal coating of silicone grease over everything that showed corrosion on your original, trying to prolong the life of the repair.

Is there anything unique about your driving that you could attribute to such a high corrosion rate? My '14 doesn't have the tiniest bit of corrosion yet, but it is not driven on long trips so not as much chance to overcharge the battery for an extended period of time, and yet this newer smarter charging system Ford uses, should reduce that issue.

Lastly I do not know what would happen if you rewired it in a standard config where the cable just went from battery to alternator and starter, hood electrical junction box. In theory it would "probably" run and charge if they designed it with a little common sense, but it would probably also generate some fault code which nobody wants on their dash and (maybe?) cause emissions testing failure based on their polices rather than emissions.

All the above might lead you on a wild goose chase. I could not find any clear pictures with this assembly spread out and good indications of part #s to see what's what. That alone would make me pursue junkyard parts next, then with the high price of new, yeah junkyard all the way.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
Guest2

Thanks great reply

J.C.

Thank you very much that was a great reply.

A lot of great information. I had to get it at the dealership but they only stuck me for $107.00. I almost l feel like "me too" if you know what
I mean.
Actually the battery was also bad but it was still under warranty so I had to go to another place to get it replaced. Oddly the positive post was loose in the battery case and leaking acid that is probably what caused the excessive corrosion on the terminal connector/modulator.
Thanks again for the great reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2018, 04:39 PM   #4
J_C

Good that you got one so inexpensively from a dealership!

What is the part # for that? Might be on the receipt.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:42 PM   #5
Guest2

part number 25FOZ07

The part number is 25FOZO7 positive terminal .
Old 03-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #6
J_C

Heh, no wonder it was so hard to find, that part # doesn't show up at all on Google, Amazon, or ebay.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:09 AM   #7
Guest2

Yes I know I tried looking online for the part and had no luck at all.