Front end pop - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 11-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #1
deerh21

Front end pop

Our 2015 Ford Explorer XLT began experiencing a front end pop a few months ago. It only seems to happen when backing up and then turning the wheel counter clockwise (left). When it happens you can feel it in the steering wheel. It's still under warranty and will be going back soon but I'd like to know what the problem might be ahead of time. They replaced the driver-side front strut mount (I believe) on the 1st attempt, but it didn't fix the issue. I guess they weren't able to reproduce it while on a lift. Probably only occurs when pressure is on the front end suspension. Any thoughts?

deerh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
J_C

I'm not all that familiar with the linkage on this newer generation's electric steering, but imagine it's something binding like a tie rod end, or ball joint or front axle CV joint.

If a road hazzard (pothole, curb, etc. collision) has bent something it could be that instead the bent part put the rest out of geometry, possibly also wear-damaging one of the aforementioned components.

Road hazzard damage, IF present, might not be covered under warranty, though you'd hope they would have noticed something like that in the first place, yet apparently they didn't notice whatever the problem really is.

If they do determine that it's not covered under warranty, certain types of damage can be significantly cheaper to fix elsewhere instead of through a dealer, at least historically this has been true for older generations of vehicle.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote