LED conversion turn signals - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 05-08-2017, 10:06 PM   #1
jsgoofn

LED conversion turn signals

Greetings! I have a 2015 Explorer Sport w/halogen. I want to upgrade the turn signals to LED. I tried to just swap them our but of course got the hyperflash. So, I do not want to add a resistor because of the heat problem. I saw something about swapping out the flasher relay to a LED flasher relay. My question is: has anyone done this and if so, what flash relay did you use and where did you get it? Any other suggestions as to how to accomplish this? I know I can buy LED bulbs with the resistors built in but they are a bit pricey. Wanted to see if I can save a few $$. Thanks!!

jsgoofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017, 04:45 PM   #2
J_C

Which LED product are you using?

I think in the current generation, Ford got rid of the old style mechanical (heated bimetallic element) turn signal relay and it's now electronically controlled so you will need a load resistor. I don't know this with 100% certainty but I checked and don't see anyone selling a turn signal relay for this generation Explorer and the LED flashers I've seen, don't list newer than 2010 as being compatible.

I would just leave the stock bulbs, as the drop in LED bulbs tend to be no brighter and/or have shorter lifespans due to overheating, then you have no notice they're not working because of the load resistor, plus the amount of power saved is minuscule since they're only on maybe 1% of the time driving.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is online now   Reply With Quote