Explorer Talk banner

Lifting my 2000 Explorer 2x4

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Chris2000 
#1 ·
What's up fellas,

I am new to this forum. Looking to get some useful information. I am interested in lifting my 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2 wheel drive. I know I can add leafs in the back and shackle to raise the rear. However, the front is a bit of mission. I've been doing research and I only see torsion bar tightening in the front. I rather not do that as it wears all the bushings up front. Let me know if anyone has some insight, or better yet, if anyone has lifted this model year 2 wheel drive explorer. Thank you, Chris

#2 ·
How much of a lift are you looking for?

First, it is a bad idea to lift a 2WD Explorer. It has no useful purpose without 4WD or AWD to go off-road, just creates a vehicle even more likely to tip over, reduces already low fuel economy (especially if adding larger heavier tires which is the main reason people do it), and puts more wear on suspension and drivetrain, as well as throwing speedo off with larger tires.

However, if you're going to do it anyway... tightening the torsion bars has nothing specific about it that wears out the bushings any more than any other way to lift would, if any other way were possible.

Either way it is still putting everything at a steeper angle, except that other way which is a Body Lift Kit instead of the suspension, raising the body off the frame more with taller bushings, so you gain no ground clearance but still have more wheel well room, a "little" less increase in center of gravity (but still a significant one making it easier to tip over) and no extra suspension wear because the angles haven't changed.

So... just do the torsion twist, it's not even remotely worth doing a body lift on a vehicle now worth under $2k in good condition, plus the torsion twist is free. You're going to need to replace things like bushings/other suspension parts pretty soon anyway if you haven't already and if you have, you should still get a fair amount of life out of them if decent major brand parts, and even redoing those is less work than a body lift kit.

Really what you have there is a gem. Many explorer owners covet the 2WD + V8 combo (that I assume it has since it's an EB?) for street use and wouldn't dream of lifting it for no reason.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response

I appreciate your response. I already considered the pros and cons with lifting my 2-wheel drive Explorer. I was willing to forgo the cons to raise it 2.5" to fit 31 in tires.

I decided on leaving it with the stock height after thinking about it and doing lots of research. I need new tires in about 5-8k miles and that's as far as I'll go.

00' Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.O SOHC

#4 ·
Oh you have the 4.0L SOHC. I assume you know about the timing chain problems those (eventually) have? I don't know how many miles you have on yours, and it depends on driving conditions, but many don't make it past (very roughly) 200K mi. before needing the engine pulled to do the timing chains, which is often cost prohibitive on these 2nd gens at their present age unless you can DIY.

I have the same engine and due to that, will not make long term plans to modify the vehicle.

However, several people have put 31x10.5R15 on their 2nd gen Explorers without needing a lift, providing their stock suspension isn't sagging, which yours may be in the rear by now if it hasn't has a leaf spring replace or rebuild or shocks with helper springs added, or of course if you have air ride and I don't know how that effects a lift.

There are some people who claim the stock rims are not wide enough and so 10.5" wide tires will wear unevenly, thought it is possible they are not accounting for the larger tire not needing as much air so they are over-inflating them, yet if you go to both a larger tire and underinflate it, you will reduce your acceleration and fuel economy, and braking slightly too.

#5 ·
Yea I am aware of timing chain. My 4.0 only has 108k miles. I've heard the transmissions go first. So far so good on the drive chain. Knock on wood.

I do have an annoying driver side air bag light that is persistent. It blinks 4 times and then six (code 46) in sequence consistent with the driver side air bag sensor. Driver side pretensioner circuit is broken. I put some dielectric on the sensor and it usually turns the light off for 2-3 months. Eventually , the light turns back on. I usually repeat the process or disconnect the battery to reset - usually works too.

I heard this is a common fault. Any thoughts about a more permanent remedy?

#6 ·
I'd see if the contacts in the connectors can be pulled out the back, cleaned and a little more spring tension bent into them. Often on Ford connectors there is a different colored piece of plastic in the back of the connector that once removed, allows pulling the contacts out .

#7 ·
Contacts are all good, no corrosion inside the connector whatsoever. The cables are not bent, everything looks stock as can be. I will spray both passenger and driver side with WD40 and some dielectric and see what happens.

Thanks for your insight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.