Rack and Pinion replacement ‘96 4.0l 4WD - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 10-16-2019, 04:59 PM   #1
reddawg

Rack and Pinion replacement ‘96 4.0l 4WD

Hi Y’all , wanted to get some food advice or “should have done It that way” before I tackle my leaking rack. I purchased a rebuild rack and will put new pressure and return lines and new bushings on the torsion bar.
I know it’s going to be a hell of a job, but hope to get some tips from my pro friends out there, yes that is you J_C.👍
I’m terrified about the input shaft bolt and getting it off of the original rack. I’m also thinking I’ll attach the new pressure and return lines on the shop bench but not sure if that is going to be worse than trying to install once on the frame. Lastly do the new oil lines need any sealant, the paste kind in then threads? There are o rings on the new ones.
Thanks y’all for the help and I will post the progress and any tip that I learned. Hope I can get the old girl back in top shape, as it has been really been good to me for the last 23 years. Thanks y’all, looking forward to your experience.

reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
J_C

I've never replaced the rack on one of these, but usually the hoses do not need any sealant, they seal on the inner tube face and the nut just holds that together.

I think you'll have a harder time trying to put the hoses on before installing it and fighting with them while doing so. I'd wait till it's in, then do the hoses.

I doubt it's going to be all that hard to do, relatively speaking, compared to a rack on more cramped, smaller and newer vehicles. Get it nice and high up in the air, 6 ton jack stands are a great investment over the shorter 3 ton I used to use. A few extra inches to move around makes everything easier, including positioning a work light.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:03 AM   #3
reddawg

Thank you J_C for getting back with me, I was getting worried about where you were hiding out. You’ve helped me out so many times with my old truck I always look forward for your advice.
I think you are right about the tube fittings on the rack, and the new ones look really nice too. I may just do a dab of thread anti seize just in case the ports were galled when it was first removed. The Detroit Axel rebuilt came in as well and it looks like a quality job, at least I hope so. They do need to improve on the way they ship it as the box looked like it was dropped off the back of the UPS truck at about 30 mph. Lucky that the inner tie rod threads were not damaged on the one that was sticking out of the box like a sore thumb. It did come with the check valve preinstalled on the high pressure side so that was pretty good I thought.
I got a set of SUV 3 ton stands for a decent price and they say it will go to about 20”. I’ll be supporting if the jacking pads so that should give me room to wiggle and wrestle with it for a long time. I’m sure that I’ll be looking for my comfortable chair after the day is done.
I’ll keep y’all posted on progress and thanks again J_C for your help.
reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2019, 07:18 PM   #4
J_C

I spend a lot more time on that other Explorer forum 'site.

Good luck!

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote