4x4 and tranny issues - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 01-18-2020, 03:22 PM   #1
lynnboy021

4x4 and tranny issues

first lets start off with the 4x4...my 4x4 high light flashes 10 times then off for a min or two.. if i press the 4x4 high you can hear the t-case motor switch to 4x4H and if i press 4x4L you can hear it switch to 4x4L so i know the motor is working... i looked up online and people said that the ground wire next to the case can be broken but it seems to look ok... hooked up my scanner and i get code P1824 4-wheel drive clutch relay circuit...

now to the trans.. i did a trans filter and fluid change and the fluid was really good nice and red and no bernt smell to it... so my problems i am having is, 1. i get a whine when starting up the truck. maybe air is getting in the tranny? 2. trans shifts fine and smooth but when down shifting from 2 to 1 kinda has a small kick. maybe from trans or driveshaft? maybe needs more fluid? i dont get no codes or no o/d light on....

2004 xlt

lynnboy021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 07:50 PM   #2
J_C

I'd focus on the code first which suggests either a shift linkage problem or the shift selector switch itself is fault, or of course the wiring or connector to it.

Did this problem start right after you changed the tranny fluid and filter, or took a good amount of time later, or was already a problem before the fluid change?

The whining could be the transmission pump but if the control unit it's getting the right signal from the shift selector switch that might not be surprising, and I don't think air is the problem so I would focus on the shift selector linkage and switch first.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote