Weird bolt - 2016 Ford Explorer XLT - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 11-01-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
Rjmccaffrey

Weird bolt - 2016 Ford Explorer XLT

Hey all. Was changing my tires over and noticed this bolt on my garage floor after. It was by the front left tire - no idea where it’s from (engine area) - any idea would be great. Bolt head size is “17” or 11/16” Total bolt length is about an inch and it only has three threads. End of the bolt is concave - at first I though it was for brakes.
Attached Images

Rjmccaffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 03:00 AM   #2
J_C

It's a fill or drain plug. That leaves motor oil, transmission, PTU and rear differential (if AWD instead of FWD), or front differential.

If there was no trace of fluid on it, and/or nothing seems to be dripping out of the vehicle, that makes it seem more likely to be a fill plug. If the end is magnetic, then it seems more likely a drain plug.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:11 PM   #3
Rjmccaffrey

Thanks - it was found near the front of the vehicle (driver side) and no fluid came out (bolt was really clean as well). The end does have some magnetic characteristics to it. Any idea where I would start looking? I’m not the most mechanically inclined but would love to see if I can sort it out before a trip to mechanic or something failing
Rjmccaffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
J_C

I don't have hands on experience with the fill and drain plugs on those, so I can only suggest putting the front end, and later the back end instead, on jack stands to locate the fill and drain plugs for each thing I mentioned.

Everything with liquid in it is going to have a way to fill and to drain it.

Wish I could be more help but a 2016... not a lot of people have had to fill and drain those yet and I didn't see any pictures to narrow it down, just know that based on what it looks like, it's a fill or drain plug.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote