Adding/activating remote start - Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts
Ford Explorer Forum - Forums for Ford Explorer Enthusiasts

Old 10-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #1
elcamino121

Adding/activating remote start

I read on another forum that the remote start feature can be activated on Explorers, after purchasing the proper key fob. Anyone have any experience with this?

elcamino121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 12:00 AM   #2
carnac

You can check with the dealer (remote start key FOBs cost around $250 each) - but unless your Explorer had the remote start module, just a key FOB will not get you remote start.

Depending on the model and age of your vehicle (you really didn't give us anything to go on in your post) - you may be able to have your Ford Dealer add a remote start module and FOB.

Lots of aftermarket remote start kits around too (usually installed by audio and/or alarm shops).

I think any path will cost $$$ - but start with the dealer, they can give you a quick answer on what is needed and how much it would cost for the OEM solution (if there is one).

Remote starting is nice, but I personally wouldn't pay lots of money for it. I use it occasionally on our 2018 Platinum Explorer - mostly when it has been sitting in the hot Las Vegas sun for a couple of hours - nice to get the cooling started while walking through the parking lot.

If you have Sync 3 - you may be able to remote start from the Ford app.

Jim
carnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
J_C

You can buy the key with the extra button, program it in, then use Forscan app (windows OS version on a windows PC/tablet/etc needed to program, IIRC) to toggle on the remote start feature. A google search for Forscan remote start will provide more info.

On model years that have remote start built in, that module is not separate and is just a matter of toggling it on in the firmware. There is no need to get a dealer involved and they may not even be allowed to facilitate toggling on a feature that was not ordered to come on the vehicle.

'98 Explorer XLT 4L SOHC 4WD
'14 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA AWD
J_C is offline   Reply With Quote