Explorer Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a newbie to the website. My wife's 07 XLT V8 just went in for it's last warranty service (34,000 mi.). I found out the 6 spd. automatic transmission was a full quart low. It didn't come with a transmission dipstick, otherwise I would NEVER have let it get that low. Are there any Ford techs on here that can tell me how to check it and consequently top it off myself in my garage? I'm not fond of paying up to $100 to take it to a dealer, wait two hours, and have them do what I should be able to do in my driveway in five minutes for less than $10 (which I can on my 08 F-150).

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I believe all of the new Ford transmissions without dipsticks have a fill plug on the side of the case. I have read that before but not seen it, it sounds like it would only be serviceable with a pump and hose. You can get those cheaply at Walmart or most parts stores, they work great.

Draining them and checking them is a whole different subject. There is a "drain" plug in the pan I gather with two parts to it. One part is loosened or removed, and any excess fluid will come out. You fill the trans until it does come out that way, with the fluid just warm(running).

Welcome to the site, and please post back with any corrections or details. This is just what I've learned from reading on the Explorer forums, not any formal manuals etc. Regards,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Don. I bought a Haynes Manual yesterday and according to it, the procedure is pretty much like checking/changing the gear oil in a manual transmission. What a pain in the a**!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Shi-t, this worries me lol. I just rolled over 50k few months ago (currently sitting at 54k)

Seriously considering about getting my tranny fluid replaced just for my own safety and have it recorded/documented while I am still under warranty. Just to be safe than be sorry.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
It should be the high end fluid that costs $4 or more now, it isn't cheap stuff. I suggest changing ATF when you buy a vehicle, and often enough to be sure it isn't worn out fluid. They should easily go 50-100k on the fluid.

The shift characteristics are far more important. If you have any odd issues or quirks, the fix is generally not fluid or a filter or a cooler. Fords in general need valve body kits to correct factory issues. I wish trans shops would embrace that and offer the VB service commonly everywhere. Jarvis, you will need something along with your engine project, you should wait until you have a VB kit and other minor parts lined up to do with the fluid change. Regards,

·
Registered
3 Posts
THERE IS A DIPSTICK! Its just really small and you cannot access it from under-hood. You need to idle it in park while the trans is hot first of all. If you dont have a hoist you'll have to jack it up high enought(while keeping it level) so you can fit underneath. On the passenger side of the trans case just behind the bell housing there is a nut/cover for the dipstick. Youll need a 19mm or 3/4" wrench to undo it. once that nut is removed youll find a small yellow dipstick! be sure to be careful of the hot exhaust right beside it...ha. It takes Mercon LV ATF which typically expands a lot compared to other fluids. You'll need some sort of evacuator to remove the fluid and also something to re-install it with a straw type dick-doo. anywho i know its a pain in the ass but thats how you do it!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
THERE IS A DIPSTICK! Its just really small and you cannot access it from under-hood. You need to idle it in park while the trans is hot first of all. If you dont have a hoist you'll have to jack it up high enought(while keeping it level) so you can fit underneath. On the passenger side of the trans case just behind the bell housing there is a nut/cover for the dipstick. Youll need a 19mm or 3/4" wrench to undo it. once that nut is removed youll find a small yellow dipstick! be sure to be careful of the hot exhaust right beside it...ha. It takes Mercon LV ATF which typically expands a lot compared to other fluids. You'll need some sort of evacuator to remove the fluid and also something to re-install it with a straw type dick-doo. anywho i know its a pain in the ass but thats how you do it!!!
Got a picture?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts