Explorer Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a load bang/thump while crawling in bumper to bumper traffic under 10 mph as if the car is forcing the trans to shift to 2nd gear.
Also when going around a right hand corner or entering an on ramp the trans doesn’t appear to downshift to 2nd gear unless I nearly put the gas pedal to the floor.
Any suggestions I can relate to the dealer?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Make sure you give the dealer a clear description of how to replicate the problem during their driving test, and document this event (including dated receipt from the shop visit including the info that it's about the tranny) so if they don't get it fixed, you have proof you reported it within the drivetrain warranty period.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also check the transfluid level. Ours was exhibiting similar issues, and turned out we were short 2 quarts and what was there needed replaced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Make sure you give the dealer a clear description of how to replicate the problem during their driving test, and document this event (including dated receipt from the shop visit including the info that it's about the tranny) so if they don't get it fixed, you have proof you reported it within the drivetrain warranty period.
Its almost impossible to reproduce this when you want someone else to notice it. If its anything like my experience, its very concerning, and very intermittent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear a load bang/thump while crawling in bumper to bumper traffic under 10 mph as if the car is forcing the trans to shift to 2nd gear.
Also when going around a right hand corner or entering an on ramp the trans doesn’t appear to downshift to 2nd gear unless I nearly put the gas pedal to the floor.
Any suggestions I can relate to the dealer?

I’ve been told that adding fluid to transmission is very difficult!
How is it done?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The fluid is typically added via the dipstick tube when low. (However, my mechanic took care of this issue.). Since the fluid change/care the issue has been considerably less prevalent. Seems like reduced frequency, and lately, can't not recall any incident, but haven't been driving as much either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts