Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know any good 17x9 wheels (MUST be that size) that are compatible with Ford Explorers? I'm looking to replace my Cobra R's, and since I already have new tires (Pirelli) I need wheels that will fit these tires.

So far all I have found is Ultralites and of course Cobra R's in this size. I really want to get these:

But unfortunately they are the wrong size!

·
Registered
39 Posts
wow.. what are you doing with your cobra rs then? i think you should donate them to me to "use" after you get new rims.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL..I need to sell them man in able to afford the replacements!

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Rob why are you getting rid of the Cobras?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want something more unique, and have always been a huge fan of DTM style wheels.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
What size tire (not rim) are you running now?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The Euro-flavor wheels are 17x7.5-inch Team Dynamics DTM units, wrapped by Pirelli Scorpion Zeros. These high-performance tires are specifically designed for light trucks and sport/utility vehicles; this Explorer wears 275/55ZR17s

This is from Explorer Express' website from the Motor Trend November 1998 article...

Looks like your new tires will run on the DTM's also!!

Here's the link:

http://www.explorerexpress.com/press/MT-199811.html

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats really odd. In the DTM image on the Specials section, it says the wheel is 17x7.5"...I thought that wouldn't work on my Pirelli's?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I thought that was the size tire John V was running. I didn't think you would have any problems...

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So wait..can I use my Pirelli tires (275/55) with these DTM wheels (12x7.5)?? I'm still confused

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
So wait..can I use my Pirelli tires (275/55) with these DTM wheels (12x7.5)?? I'm still confused ?

Yes, you can run your Pirelli's on the DTM's. They will be fine. The link to the article on John's website gace the dims on the tires and wheels John is running. He is using the DTM's and the Pirelli 275/55's...

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well in that case I'm definitely going to get the DTM's....

·
Registered
666 Posts
I dont mean to critisize, but going from a 9 inch width to a 7.5 inch width is something I dont think you should do ... they will be very narrow in my opinion. The handling will suffer ... It may not seem like a lot but I know first hand it is!

I had 17x8's then moved to 17x9's and it was a VERY noticeable diffrence .. Same size tire by the way!

So Just concider that, Im just looking out for ya man!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well bottomline my Explorer isnt a Mustang, and I improved the handling to a point where its much safer and easier to control, but something like wheel width isn't going to make or break the handling....plus I'd rather have the DTM's anyway.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Hey Rob, I just got here, and it may be too late. You might have already committed to the 7.5" wheels, but don't. You would be probably have similar results as myself in 1997. I put 245/50/16's on a stock 16x7 wheel(Mark VII).

The width of the tire is enough more than the wheel that you feel like the tires need air. You will lose resposiveness. A 9" wide tire would be better for a 275mm wide tire.

Good luck

CDW

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey, no actually it isn't too late and I also decided that if I was going to sell my Cobras at all, that I would replace them with 17" chrome Cobra R's. As of right now it looks like I'm just holding onto my matte finish Cobra R's, which I have more than no problem with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts