Explorer Talk banner

18's vs. 20's

12K views 73 replies 27 participants last post by  Mylomeister 
#1 ·
I'm curious, what do you guys really think makes more sense - getting 18's or 20's? I know 20's really fill up the wheel well, especially when your truck is lowered. So it makes the whole "package" just look tighter, more flush.

But as far as tread life and such, wouldn't 18's with a little more rubber make more sense? I mean after all, you hit a bad bump for example on a road and you could easily get a bubble in your tire which is an instant loss and a hurt on the wallet....anyone ever have these types of problems?

Anyone have any recommendations on which is better and why?

#2 ·
have 18's now, want to go to 20's, my feeling is 99% of the ppl who get 18's with X's will change there mind and get 20's, i thought 20's would be too big for my X thats why i got 18's, definitely regret it, and will lose money because of it, but its all good, live and learn

#5 ·
But look at 18's. I mean the fit perfectly in the stance of the Explorer and still have more tread. Like the Saleen XP8. Those are 18's...and I cant see anything bigger on that truck!

#6 ·
I like 18s on Explorers. Like you said Rob, 18s fit perfectly in the stance of the X. If I could I would go for 18s. Anything bigger just doesn't make sense to me.

#8 ·
Good analogy. I see exactly your point. Let's put it this way BM, what rims would you recommend for my truck? You and I have very similar tastes (nothing real flashy, bling bling etc.)...I'm not looking to spend crazy amounts of money on rims and tires - $2k will do it for me...and even that hurts the wallet :word:

#12 ·
I do like the 18's. ?But it is like getting the 4.0 because it has good power. ?But later on the line you would want the 5.0. ?Yea, the 18's just like the 4.0 is great. the 20's and 5.0 is better. ?Just my view.

Good point Matt, I've never thought of it that way!!

Ok Rob, based on Matts wonderful analogy, I have rethinked what I said. Definately go for the 20s!!! :D :D

#14 ·
Does anyone have any concrete recommendations for rims, I'm still leaning towards 18's but I guess we'll see. I dont want anything really flashy or excessive chrome, to me that's not my taste.
:

#17 ·
If you don't want flashy or excessive chrome then I suggest you get rims like Matt has that are powder coated or are silver painted. I'm not into flashy chrome either but some nice silver painted 20s would look great on your ride.

#18 ·
Matt's rims are like the exact look I'm going for. But I dont want to get the same rims, because I'd never hear the end of it. Plus, it's always better to be unique. I still think the Moda R7's 20" would be sweet.

#19 ·
Rob: I'll give you my take on this discussion since I just recently made my wheel choice. I think wheel choice really depends on the goal you have in mind for your truck. 18"s seem to be the better choice for a more performance oriented vehicle while 20"s will always have more show appeal. My X is a daily driver which has to compete with my weekend toy (read 1998 SVT Cobra) so performance and handling are my main goals when moding my X. When comparing wheel and tire weights of aftermarket equipment vs stock you will find that plus size combos can get real heavy real quick. I tried to find a good mix of eye appeal and relativly minimal weight gain. It seems trivial but you WILL notice the extra mass/diameter when you hit the go pedal. I also think that an 18" is visually the "right" size for what I am going to call a 2nd gen X (1995-2000 2dr, 1995-2001 4dr). A 01" up Sport or 02" up 4dr, however, scream for a 20" because of their large rounded wheel well openings. Your Sport, like my 4dr, looks more balanced IMO, with an 18". Now if you are simply building a show truck or want the most eye appeal/ego the 20"s are obviously the in thing. Keep in mind some lightweight 20"s are available (several Centerline models are around 21lbs or so!), BUT get ready to spend a lotta cash. Just for an example my stock combo was around 50lb a piece while my Moda/Scorpion combo is approx. 64lb a piece.

#20 ·
You're the one from EF/FXN with the Moda R7's right? 18" size, black truck? Yeah see I agree with you completely on how the 01+ Sports definitely "require" 20's....I've seen 20's on plenty of 4 Door Explorers of my generation and although it's a 4 door, I still am not really too keen on it, unless the truck is dropped enough...which is usually a lot...But then you run into a whole plethora of crap with a pretty lowered truck with 20's...

And yeah, it's not like the 4.0's have great acceleration to begin with so having 20's won't help. True. I'd rather have a mix of sleekness and still performance, not show, thats why I am not going with something like "bling bling" rims or chrome. I just want a wheel/tire setup that "compliments" my truck if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your input and glad to see you registered over here.

#21 ·
Glad to be here and glad to give my input! :D I will admit that part of my choice in wheels was price, BUT performance, weight and PROPER fitment were just as important. I was quite intent on running FMS Cobra R's which are quite lite at about 22lbs a piece, and also very strong, however, their fitment requires a few small compromises. Front swaybar clearance is tight at full lock and the parking brake cables can also get in the way sometimes. These are all minor, but with my Modas I don't have any of these issues. I guess the best advice I can give is whatever you decide to run make sure you have a proper fitment! 12" or 20", if they don't fit right, they just aren't worth running. Also keep this in mine when you lower your truck. Something that just cleared at stock height may cause issues when lowered.

No matter what you choose just keep in mind that it is YOUR X and your the one who must be happy with it! Variety is what keeps things interesting and a lot of the reason we modify our vehicles to begin with: To be unique! 8)

#22 ·
Excellent advice man. Yeah, that's why I've pretty much steered away from Cobra R's myself. I don't feel like running spacers, or having to worry about not being able to cut the wheel all the way, or any of that other crap. If you're not going to have to sacrifice a number of things and modify a lot of crap just to make it work, it's not worth running in the end like you said. The Moda R7's always appealed to me because they look GREAT, are definitely reasonably priced, and now except for you, there's no one else that I know of that owns them on an Explorer.

Ultimately I probably will go with the Moda R7's, or these Konig's I've seen in various places that look killer and are 18's. On a lowered ride they will look phenomonal, either rims. Definitely wrapping these in Pirelli Scorpion Zero or Kumho. You have a different version of the Scorpion Zero's don't you? The treadwall looks different?
:

Once again thanks for all your help and advice, I really look forward to seeing you post around here, you're a great member of the Explorer community! Just an FYI you can setup an avatar by editing your profile.

#23 ·
Rob, I know you really like the R7. I have gotta say they have really grown on me. At first I honestly wasn't sure I was going to like them, but at this point I wouldn't have it any other way!

There is a good deal that seems to keep popping up on Ebay for a set of 18" Akuzas on 255/55/18 Scorpions. Only around $1300 or so. This is a wheel somewhere between my R7 and Black Magics Binno. Polished lip with 5 silver spokes. Also has the "bolts" for the two piece look like our wheels. It appears to have a similar depth to it much like the R7.

All I can say about my Zero's is that Pirelli must have revised the design. I orderd em from Tire Rack and that is what I got. The most noticable difference is the addition of lots of extra "sipes" in the tread as well as a slightly cleaner sidewall. Personally I like the change and think they look even better than the old style.

I haven't run them long enough to give a proper opinion BUT lets just say the performance over the stock 235/75/15 Goodyears is phenominal. I have only pushed it a little bit, but I think I am starting to understand what that ride you took in the XP8 was like. (At least in the handling area since I don't have an X charger
)

#24 ·
There is a good deal that seems to keep popping up on Ebay for a set of 18" Akuzas on 255/55/18 Scorpions. Only around $1300 or so. This is a wheel somewhere between my R7 and Black Magics Binno. Polished lip with 5 silver spokes. Also has the "bolts" for the two piece look like our wheels. It appears to have a similar depth to it much like the R7.

Yes, those are exactly the rims I was talking about. I think I said Konig before but I definitely meant those Akuzas. Those look phenomonal! I am pretty much stuck between the two, I'm not sure what I would choose once I have the money set aside and if both are an option. Really hard to say. Anyway, yeah I definitely do like the improvements with the Scorpion Zero tire. Everyone has more than amazing things to say about them.

I have the Michelins on my stockers, and they handle amazing in dirt, sand, mud, snow, but for the street the grip just isn't there. It's weird. Like they handle pretty good, but on my other Explorer (99 5.0), we have Toyo tires on there and WOW, they REALLY grip the road! The handling difference between just mine and the other Explorer is extraordinary. I can't wait to see how awesome my Explorer handles once it's lowered, and has new rims/tires! Wow...I think I am going to just constantly drive my Explorer the first couple weeks I get all these modifications done.

And as far as the similarity to the Saleen XP8, well I can see how you somewhat have similar characteristics, but man it's still a world away from just a lowered Explorer
The supercharger doesn't hurt either! One step on that gas pedal and you're like 8O

#26 ·
Rob that's a really good looking photochop. Those Moda rims are really sweet. The wing looks great too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.