Explorer Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought an used 1992 Automatic Explorer that is in good shape. However I'd like to do preventive maintenance to avoid surprises in the future (as possible as this can be). I've been riding a motorbike for several years, so I'm "out of tune" with the car world.

Could you suggest some issues that I should start working on? Any check, test, or replacement?

Thank You. A pleasure to register in this neat forum.

:driving8kw:

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Biggest thing will be to service the transmission. New fluid and filter. No power flush, manual flush only. Replace all other fluids. Inspect the belt along with the idler and tensioner pulleys. Thermostat and coolant. While you're at it torque the lower intake manifold down. They tend to work loose over time. Ensure that the lower intake isn't leaking fluid. 4x4? Check all U joints; 8 total in the truck. Bearings in the front could be cleaned and repacked. Check ball joints and steering linkage. If 4x4 and you have auto hubs seriously look into converting to manual hubs. Can easily be done when servicing the front bearings.

Just generally go over the truck. It's hard to say what has been done over the years to it. Poke around with the flash light and look for any leaks or anything that looks out of place. As you begin to fix things you'll start to find new issues and in some cases find the next weakest link like in the cooling system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Todd. Thank you for your reply. Your advise puts me in the right direction about how to start. I'm used to manual transmission I don't know automatic systems so my first homework will be to learn all about it and then start working. A final question, I used to give it most of the services to my Honda Rebel myself, like cleaning the carb, lubing the chain, etc. Do you think I can give the service myself, for example to the transmission, or does it require great investment in tools and also the expertise of a professional?

Maybe I should find a mechanic shop that has few clients so I am allowed to sneak in and see how the service is given, learn about it and make sure that the service is done with care.

Thank you again Todd.

:driving8kw:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts