Explorer Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Explorer 2DR Sport Utility with sun roof, white, we purchased used from a local ford dealer in 1998. It is in service and, while it has issues, it is reasonably reliable. It starts, runs, goes through all the gears. However, at 200,000 miles I was thinking it might be time to do some real re-work.

Oh, I forgot to say the brakes, on occasion, make a funny sound. It sort of comes and goes and is not predictable. The rear brakes I believe.

I was considering taking it to a local mechanic and asking him to sort of give it a once over. Maybe rebuild the engine, transmission, service all the major items, rework the brakes, oh and work on the door closure mechanism, especially the rear door/lift.... Oh and I did have an issue with the right door which a local "mechanic" sort of fixed which will need to be redone (has a different key for that door alone, claimed he could not get the correct part to fix the door lock).

So the question is, keep it and do the work (don't know the price yet) or purchase a replacement (used similar but newer).

The newer vehicle would have many unknowns which would, maybe make it more or less reliable.

Anyway, the question is, what is the possibility of finding a local mechanic that might be able to do what I want and get a reliable outcome.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Keep your Xplorer for sure, you already know the car, spend the money to do what it needs. If the motor is good( not smoking and rattling) why rebuild it, only fix what is wrong. I also have a 96 xlt and I have spent money on the things it needs, it's a great car and you've had it along time. Don't get rid of it, fix what's wrong and besides, if you get another one, you'll have a whole bunch of other problems to fix, why start over? Fix her up and keep her happy, she'll treat you well for many more years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks AA7KN,

I have decided to do just that and have a list of things I want the local mechanic to look at. Will start in the next week or so.

And just in case I got it right - DE KI4KZ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts