Explorer Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I can not get the filter off. i bought this truck 6 months ago and i just started having problems with the truck that pointed towards the fuel filter. i worked on it for 7 hours today and i can not get it out. i tried the plastic tools for 3 hours and then gave up thinking i needed the metal one and i went and got it and that did not help at all. in the process i broke the nipple off of the filter and some gas started pouring out and it was extremely BLACK so it defiantly was my problem or a big part of my problem. With 165k miles on the truck im not sure if it was ever changed. i have put penetrating oil 4 times and it didnt help. i just put a mass amount on and called it quits for the night due to the lack of sunlight at this point. i need advice or tips from anyone who can anyone help. I really dont want to have to take it to the shop because at this point i will have to get it towed because i broke the filter.

Thanks, Garrett

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i was able to get the filter replaced and it still has the same problems i have also replaced the spark plugs. The truck is really hard to start and when i do get it started the truck hesitates on acceleration. if i use the gas pedal at all it normally helps get it started fast. anyone got ideas?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I would take the fuel tank filler tube off, stick a hose in there and siphon out a little gas to see what it looks like. I wonder if you have bad rust in the tank and it's causing clogs and/or possibly a failing pump. Pulling a tank is not fun if it's full of gas but not too bad if you siphon the gas out and have a floor jack and wood to support it, and a helper to work the jack while you guide the tank down and unplug the connectors if they haven't enough slack. If the tank straps are bad they could need cut and new ones installed. It might depend on where you live, in the snow belt they can be worse.

You can also or instead, put a fuel rail pressure gauge on the Schroeder valve on the fuel rail to see if fuel pressure is good. First, hook up the gauge and turn the key to the first notch, system energized but not cranking engine. It should build up full pressure. Turn the key to off, it should hold pressure, maybe not perfect with the vehicle this old but it shouldn't drop fast. If it does you need a new pump or pressure regulator.

You did not mention which engine you have, the 4L OHV V6, 4L SOHC V6, or 5L OHV V8. Once we know that info and what fuel pressure you measure, you or we can determine if the pressure is good.

Are there any engine OBDII trouble codes set? When you replaced the plugs did any look different on the electrodes than the others? I've probably asked enough questions and would need more info to go in any direction at this point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts