Explorer Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day my name is Darren, I'm from Geelong, Victoria, Australia.

My daughter is training as an army officer, and her Ford explorer has been left with me. I'm trying to fix up some of the neglect, before shipping to where she will be stationed. Hers's my problem - I'm looking for a wiring diagram so I can install a keyless entry system. Additionally, the car door won't lock (broken) and the driver's side lock mechanism is also broken. I've ordered a new one, and door handle and am still looking for a replacement key, ignition and door locks.

If you could help with a wiring diagram and pics of the driver's door locking mechanism that would be great. Also, anyone knows where I might get a replacement key and locks (ignition, doors and boot) reasonably quickly?

Thanks for any assistance or guidance you can offer
Cheers
Darren

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Darren,
Your post caught my attentions as I would also like to add remote start to my Explorer. It gets cold where I live!
I did a quick search and found this post on a different forum that has wiring color codes for a 98 Explorer.
Not sure where you would find the locks and ignition in Australia. I often check Ebay here in the states but I am not sure if that is a good or bad habit of mine.......
You might already know this but replacement keys have to be programmed for the vehicle. There is a little transponder in the key and it needs to be programmed. If you have both of the original keys then you can do this yourself. If you are missing one of the keys then you will need to get some special software or go to the dealer. Search for 'program 98 ford key' or whatever year you have and it should lead you down the right rabbit hole.
Rich

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your help, Rich. I had searched everywhere for a wiring diagram - so really appreciate it, the links are dead but give most of the info I needed.
Also wasn't aware of the key issue, I ordered a new set with ignition barrel and thought that would be sufficient. Ford Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder + Pair BLACK Door Lock Cylinder W/2 Logo Keys | eBay

Also, I found this regarding new keys - "Insert existing working key in the ignition and turn to the ON position then back to the OFF position. 2. Within 5 seconds insert the new key in the ignition and turn to the ON position. The security light will light up for 2 seconds to indicate successful programming."
I think this is in reference to a new key - but I'm putting in a new ignition and door barrels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts