Explorer Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, It was such a beautiful morning, I went nuts! Gave my X it's first oil change (that's a story for another thread), did the TBS tweak, popped in a K&N airfilter, and gave it a bath! It's sparkling clean and ready to roll! I tweaked the TBS to .958V, and it seems to have smoothed the idle a bit. It was .987V prior to the tweak, so it wasn't off by to much. I hope that between the that, the K&N filter and the Mobile 1 oil, i'll see a bit of an increase in gas mileage!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
It was the same story here...beautiful morning (finally got to 50), and I spent 2 hours cleaning the X inside and out and man, did it need a good cleaning!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Yeah, today I cleaned out my interior, vacuumed the entire thing, installed my Autovation Pedals (which look AMAZING), and did other miscellaneous car stuff.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
That's great you guys finally have some good weather to take care of your rides. I'll be shampooing everything in May or June.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yep, It was such a beautiful morning, I went nuts! ?Gave my X it's first oil change (that's a story for another thread), did the TBS tweak, popped in a K&N airfilter, and gave it a bath! ?It's sparkling clean and ready to roll! ?I tweaked the TBS to .958V, and it seems to have smoothed the idle a bit. ?It was .987V prior to the tweak, so it wasn't off by to much. ?I hope that between the that, the K&N filter and the Mobile 1 oil, i'll see a bit of an increase in gas mileage! ?
TBS tweak? Where do I find this? And, I think you mean 'TPS', right?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
That's great you guys finally have some good weather to take care of your rides. ?I'll be shampooing everything in May or June.

Well I did it a month ago already, but I did it again for the hell of it. I personally have had some good weather off and on in the last month but now we've just entered Spring and the weather is awesome.
It's finally stable.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I just spent most of the day inside my truck, too!!! Installed the pedals, and cleaned, vacuumed, ArmorAll'd, did leather conditioner, washed all the glass,etc., etc., etc. All that winter filth was driving me crazy

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Yeah, Jeff you really did get nailed this winter. Is this the first winter for your Explorer? I keep thinking back to the snow pictures you posted awhile ago.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[..]

TBS tweak? Where do I find this? And, I think you mean 'TPS', right?

Wilson,

Your right, it's the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) on the Throttle Body (TB)! Anyway, it's a tweak I saw on another forum. You loosen the screws on the TPS and there is enough play to adjust it. According to the other forum, the ideal voltage output when the ignition switch is on, but the truck is not running (so the throttle is fully closed) is between .95 and .97 volts DC. I just slipped a couple straight pins into the connector where the wires connect, clipped the leads to my digital Volt Meter, and twisted it back and forth till I got it as clos to .960 as I could (it ended up at .958V) and tightened down the screws. It's supposed to provide better acceleration and smooth out any rough idle. Mine was .987V before I adjusted it, it doesn't take much, and I noticed a smoother idle. It doesn't feel much different in the acceleration department, but then I haven't taken it up on the highway yet. It was a free tip, so what the heck! The touphest part is loosing the screws, because on the 03 the TPS is on the back side of the TB!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Yeah, Jeff you really did get nailed this winter. Is this the first winter for your Explorer? I keep thinking back to the snow pictures you posted awhile ago.

Second winter for my midnight gray carpet. But last year, it really only snowed 2 or 3 times. This year sucked. I just swept 5 dust pans full of crap off my garage floor this afternoon.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Wow you all were busy doing alot of cleaning, it was warm here today but it started raining this afternoon so I didnt do any kind of cleaning. I did buy a new speaker box and changed that over tonight, now I just have 1 sub, the new box gave more room in the back and fits right behind the rear seats and under the cargo cover. I also cleaned out the garage floor, there were a ton of leafs in there and my neighbors car was gone so I did both sides. Now it's windy and getting real cold out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts