Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am slowly building a stereo for my 2003 4dr xlt. So far i have only installed 4 polk db 507's. This weekend im having an amp put in, but i havent picked one yet. Since i have installed 4 identical speakers front and rear. and im not using this amp to power a sub, do i really need a 4 ch or will a 2 ch do the job?

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Well I would do a 4 channel just so all 4 speakers are getting the same amount of power. But, you could get away with a 2-channel running the fronts and the HU running the rears. This should sound good too since the back is typically rear fill. Either way you can't go wrong.

Also, welcome to ExplorerX!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ryan, Thanks! I apprecaite your help. I originally wanted to get a polk/momo amp for my X but the place im going to have put in my amp only carries the 1 and 2 channell. They recommended either an audiobahn or an alpine 4 ch. Im very familiar with Alpine but not Audiobahn. Have any preferences yourself? Im looking for better sound quality more than just loud. Again, thanks for your help!! Lenny

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Susie! and Hi! I had read all about your dealing with the rear air in your X, glad you finally got what you wanted. I myself will be doing a single sub, as i need to have it hidden, and im forever hauling things, so i might be getting the jl stealth box. My X doesnt have rear air so for me its not a problem. Also read that your getting a 3" lift for your X. Now thats something I WANT! DOnt know when ill have the money for it, but its on my widh list for sure. Stereo first! Cant wait to meet more great people here, I look forward to seeing what others do with their X's. Yours looks great! Mine will get there, a little bit at a time
thanks!! Lenny

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ill take some pics when it stops snowing! I wish my wife was into customizing, instead, her famous line is "what do you need that for?" Hence the reason why my X is gonna take awhile. Lenny

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I think my hubby wishes he had never started me Lenny
He was the original one that started on his 2001 F-150. At the time I had a '97 XLT white X with the 5.0 V8. I traded it for the '02 Limited 4.6L V8 and have never looked back. I love this thing and love moding it even more. Glad to have to here, we each kinda live vicariously through the others.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i too will be living vicariously through the people here as i have already seen lots of mods i want to do to my x! In a strange way, im almost happy that our gen 3 X's still are hard to get custom parts for. My X is an 03 xlt, w/3rd row, sunroof, awd, and v6. Would have gotten the v8 but took mine off the lot. I was more interested in getting the color i wanted than getting the v8. By the way my X is silver with dark grey cladding which i want to have painted black and grey leather int.. My last Ford was all black, and here int he northeast its way too hard to keep black clean, especially this time of year. Hopefully one day ill be able to move back to florida and then i wont need awd and ill be able to get black again. My X was originaly leased, but i love it so much i bought out the lease! Hopefully ill be able to do more mods by the time summer rolls around. Lenny

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Ill take some pics when it stops snowing! I wish my wife was into customizing, instead, her famous line is "what do you need that for?" Hence the reason why my X is gonna take awhile. ? ? ? ? ? ? Lenny
Welcome to ExplorerX Lenny!
Its still snowing here too!

I feel the same way about my friends wondering why I "waste" my money on the X.

Cant wait to see the pics!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Susie, is Bay Point anywhere near L.A.? One of my families lives there. If that sounds confusing, i have 2 families..... Lenny

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Andy, Glad to be here. Nice X you have there! I want sunvisor in the worst way!. It rates really high on my list of things to be done soon! I dont have to worry about what my friends say, every one of them has a muscle car to play with, so i dont need to tell you what they spend! Lenny

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Thanks Andy, Glad to be here. Nice X you have there! I want ?sunvisor in the worst way!. It rates really high on my list of things to be done soon! I dont have to worry about what my friends say, every one of them has a muscle car to play with, so i dont need to tell you what they spend! ? ? ? Lenny
Thanks!

Im only 17 so my friends only care about having a car, which I understand, but I like to spice up my mine a little.

Sounds like your getting a good start. I really gotta start modding my interior. I dont even have a CD deck yet!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats a hell of a nice car for being 17. When i was 17, i bought my first car, a 1974 plymouth duster. Still one of my all time favorites. However, it wasnt nearly as ncie as what your driving! Glad to see your startin young! Lenny

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Welcome Lenny, it sounds like you are off to a good start.

Do they make a stelth box for our style X's?

I was thinking about doing the bottom of mine in black sometime, it's the same color combo as youres, I would go with the monotone but the way it is chipping I dont think I will go with the silver, it would look real bad when it chipped and the dark color shows through.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Brad,

J&L does make a stealthbox for 3rd gens now. I think they just came out this year. I know I couldn't get one when I did my system last fall. They go in the rear panel on the driver's side, so if you have rear air, you can't use it. This is the way Susie wanted to do hers, but she has rear air.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Don't get an Audiobahn amp. You'll regret it. The Alpines are good amps. I would also recommend RF, Kicker, or Directed. I have experience with Directed and RF but not Kicker, although I know they're good amps.

I would go with the 4 channel amp, 2 channels front and 2 channels bridged for the sub, or a 3 channel like Joe suggested. Stay away from all that Polk/Momo crap. You're wasting your money on flash. Polk's stuff is good but that Momo stuff is just for show. Not necessary.

I would try to go with 1 10" sub. This is actually what I'll be doing myself. I'm tired of all of the "BOOM BOOM BOOM". I don't want that anymore. I would recommend Directed, JL, or Alpine TypeR's (only the TypeR's, of which I had 2 12's prior to being stolen in December).

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Lenny actually Bay Point is in SF bay area, we are very close to Concord and Walnut Creek if that is any help.

Like Jeff said JL does have the Stealth box for our 3rd gen X's...unfortunately I have the 3rd row air so I was out of luck. But I must say the stereo shop where I had it done did an excellent job for me and I'm really happy. Still haven't gotten the pics yet but they will come soon.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I agree with Eric. Go with a single 10. I have an Image Dynamics ID10 in the rear powered by a JBL amp. Absolutely pounds. I would get a JL amp but that was a lot more than the JBL.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts