Explorer Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the electric entry for my Explorer and an ignition key. Unfortunetly, my battery in the car died. I tried the key in the door but it will not open it. Should I have a door key and an ignition key? I don't recall ever having two keys for this car since I purchased it. Now, I have a locked Explorer and no way to open the doors without a "shim" and I am reluctant to do that.
Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Most likely they're seized. Try some PB Blaster directly into the lock to free it up. The locks on my 2000 never worked. Side affect of having keyless entry.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Door and ignition key are the same. I have an issue where the spring in the door latch mechanism breaks and then the door locks no longer work. On my sport the drivers lock is dead but the passenger side works. It is a common failure. One of these days I will try to find a replacement spring so I don't have to change the entire latch assembly. If you are handy, you could energize the truck with a jump start pack by getting under the truck and finding the positive starter terminal and grounding to the frame. Be careful though.

Did you try the hatch?

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Door and ignition key are the same. I have an issue where the spring in the door latch mechanism breaks and then the door locks no longer work. On my sport the drivers lock is dead but the passenger side works. It is a common failure. One of these days I will try to find a replacement spring so I don't have to change the entire latch assembly. If you are handy, you could energize the truck with a jump start pack by getting under the truck and finding the positive starter terminal and grounding to the frame. Be careful though.

Did you try the hatch?
The latch is cheap and easy to replace. I think it was redesigned as well to prevent the breaking spring again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Todd for the reply and information. I will do as you suggested. Temp is warming up in MI so that may help as well. Glad to find out I did not lose a key for the doors. I tried both doors and the hatch...all n.g.
Take care and be safe.
Craig

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sport99.....Thanks for your reply and information. I am going to shoot the locks with lube and hope that works. If not, I will go under the car and do as you suggest to power the locks again. Thanks again for the help. Then I have to conquer another issue with the "plastic" timing chain adjusters.....that will be fun! Outside the Explorer looks perfect but the timing chain issue, cruise control issue and now this is frustrating.
Thanks again...and be safe.
Craig

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Todd....Shot some synthetic lube and some anti sieze in the locks...and in 10 minutes all are working again. Thanks for the tip....and reply.
Craig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts