Explorer Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dream. I have a 1998 XSport with a single leaf spring. I was told that the 2001 XSport multi leaf springs will fit, But their's a problem. The 2001 XSport has 3 different part # for these springs. Anyone knows why? And whats the differents?

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow I had no idea there are 3 different part numbers. Maybe one for each year???
: Honestly if I were you, I'd just buy some 4-door leaf springs. But the Sport ones would work as well.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
It's probably 3 different spring rates for the monoleaf then. Best guess I can take becauase I know they are rated A-F as well as the t-bars.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
you might be able to check with a slavage yard, they might have the info on the different part numbers of they will know what the crossover part numbers. You might even find a set of used springs with low milage for alot less that the new price.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I have a dream. I have a 1998 XSport with a single leaf spring. I was told that the 2001 XSport multi leaf springs will fit, But their's a problem. The 2001 XSport has 3 different part # for these springs. Anyone knows why? And whats the differents? ?
Anytime a two-door Explorer with a monoleaf suspension wants an upgrade, I have only heard of them using 4-door twin leaf suspensions. Obviously it would work to use the 2001+ double leaf suspensions as well but I'm just telling you that by using the 4-door ones you won't have to worry about the different part number crap.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
What's the actual purpose of this conversion?
Eliminates the ever-popular rear end sagging found on 2-Door Sports and also a noticeable improvement in rear end handling/support.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Can't you just lower the front to match using the torsion twist method?
That's besides the point. First of all not everyone is going to want to lower their Explorer. Plus, the swap to a dual leaf suspension is for more than just looks....its for actual handling and support, etc. Look at the sagging stock monoleaf suspension as a "flaw" that was taken care of with the 4-door model. Thus swapping the leaf suspensions only makes sense as it will solve the problem (and did, as Ford used dual leaf suspensions for all Sports beginning in 2001 with the body makeover).

·
Registered
303 Posts
What's the actual purpose of this conversion?

I was thinking the same thing. I think the monoleaf is fine but then again im lowered now so I dont have rear end sag cause my front sits a little lower.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts