Explorer Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. For a couple of months my steering wheel sticks and resists turning right or left. Then finally I can turn.Does anyone know if I might need to replace my steering wheel column or something else. Would like help to know what part I might need to fix this problem and where I could find a new or reconditioned one. Thank you:hi:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Make sure your power steering fluid reservoir is full. I do suspect your steering shaft has a problem and would pull it out and inspect it, trying to determine if there is damage, excessive wear, and/or if you're just lucky and all it needs is lubed.

You'll need to find the part of it that's in a bind if you want to try replacing a portion instead of the whole thing with a new or rebuilt unit which is typically over $300.

Before I bought anything I would jack it up, take the wheels off and look at it while someone is trying to turn the wheel to see if you can see anywhere on the tie rods or ball joints where there seems to be a bind. You can just pop the tie rod ends off the knuckles if you want to isolate the shaft and rack when trying to turn the steering wheel.

Keep in mind that if the engine is not running while the wheels are turned, it may get air into the system and need turned lock to lock several times with the engine running to get the air out later.

Reactions: susanao111
1 - 2 of 2 Posts