Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate to beat a dead horse but will the 2003 style Cobra wheels work on 95-01 Explorers? I have seen these on a 3rd generation Explorer. There is also at least one guy on CarDomain with these installed on his 3rd generation Explorer. I am curious if these will work on 95-01 Explorers, however.

The wheel specs are:

NEW MACHINED MUSTANG COBRA 2003 REPLICA WHEELS

NEW COBRA CENTER CAPS

WHEEL SIZE ( 17 X 9 )

OFFSET ( 29mm )

BOLT PATTERN ( 5 on 4.5 )

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I don't see why not, if they are all not the same already, you'll probably need 4 with the same offsets.

BTW, there's no such beast as a 2003 cobra r.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see why not, if they are all not the same already, you'll probably need 4 with the same offsets.

BTW, there's no such beast as a 2003 cobra r.

Whups. Yeah let me fix that
Yeah I would get 4 of the same offset, but I was just curious as far as the overall compatibility. Thanks

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool...now, if someone will buy my existing Cobra's, preferablly locally...then these will be mine

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Those are some awesome wheels Rob!
Would you keep the pony as the center cap?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are some awesome wheels Rob! ?
?Would you keep the pony as the center cap?

Hell no. Thats just an identity crisis. I would have SVT wheel caps or something else that "looks good"

EDIT: Realized SVT caps would be an identity crisis as well. Oh well, less so than a Pony

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
What the hell is with all you guys? Pick a set of wheels and stick with them, if you change quickly you didn't think about it well enough.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What the hell is with all you guys? ?Pick a set of wheels and stick with them, if you change quickly you didn't think about it well enough.

The reason is because I got the Cobras at such a hell of a deal. So I went with those. I couldn't pass those up. I'm finally getting my truck exactly how I want it. I only have a handful left of things I want to do to my truck and then I'm completely done modding it. I love the look of the 03 Cobra wheels and I'd love to have them to stick out more in terms of appearance. Everyone has regular Cobras on their Explorers, I want the 03 Cobras.

If we all could benefit from having a XP8 to "start with", then my God I don't think there'd REALLY ever be an aftermarket for Explorers.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
IMO always concentrate on exactly what you want to begin with. Even if your wheels where a great deal, there's small amounts of dollars and cents lost in things like tires, mounting, balancing, alignments, spacers. It all adds up.

I realize i have an already customized explorer, but it's no mistake i do. I could of bought a regular 5.0 x anytime in the last 5 years. But since it wasn't what i wanted, i didn't. When my dream purchase became available, i was ready. In reality i never thought i would have one, in that case i may have never owned an explorer.

Take my mustang for example, i wanted new rims for it since about 97 or so, what i really wanted was 18's, i could of bought 20 different pairs of 17's in the meantime, but why bother, that's not what i wanted.

It's only a great deal if A:That's what you really want, or B: you can quickly turn them over for a substantial profit.

·
Registered
666 Posts
IMO always concentrate on exactly what you want to begin with. ?Even if your wheels where a great deal, there's small amounts of dollars and cents lost in things like tires, mounting, balancing, alignments, spacers. ?It all adds up.

I realize i have an already customized explorer, but it's no mistake i do. ?I could of bought a regular 5.0 x anytime in the last 5 years. ?But since it wasn't what i wanted, i didn't. ?When my dream purchase became available, i was ready. ?In reality i never thought i would have one, in that case i may have never owned an explorer.

Take my mustang for example, i wanted new rims for it since about 97 or so, what i really wanted was 18's, i could of bought 20 different pairs of 17's in the meantime, but why bother, that's not what i wanted.

It's only a great deal if A:That's what you really want, or B: you can quickly turn them over for a substantial profit.

Very well put, Im going to live by these words when buying anything from now on ...

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
2000xp8 that was very nicely put.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
If only my college professors thought as much of my writing as you guys do, i would of acctually granduated.
Then again, 8 page papers about books i didn't read, probably didn't make much sense.

·
Registered
666 Posts
If only my college professors thought as much of my writing as you guys do, i would of acctually granduated.
? Then again, 8 page papers about books i didn't read, probably didn't make much sense.

Well for not graduating it seems like your doing pretty good ...

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IMO always concentrate on exactly what you want to begin with. ?Even if your wheels where a great deal, there's small amounts of dollars and cents lost in things like tires, mounting, balancing, alignments, spacers. ?It all adds up.

I realize i have an already customized explorer, but it's no mistake i do. ?I could of bought a regular 5.0 x anytime in the last 5 years. ?But since it wasn't what i wanted, i didn't. ?When my dream purchase became available, i was ready. ?In reality i never thought i would have one, in that case i may have never owned an explorer.

Those are some very good points however you're forgetting that in my case for example, this was the first vehicle I had that I really wanted to dump money into. I was learning things about cars as I went on, and my purchases reflect that. I was a very impulsive buyer and I've come a long way from that. But things like my original carbon fiber taillights, the eBay billet grille, all my sound systems, all of that crap was just that - crap and unfortunately were very expensive mistakes.

Reality is I WISH I knew what I wanted to do to my truck all along. If I bought what I wanted from the get-go, I could've literally saved about 4 grand in wasted money. I'm not kidding, I wasted about 4 grand on car stuff that I ultimately got rid of anyway. And that was the number one problem, I DIDN'T know what I wanted, and I kept buying things that I thought was what I wanted when in reality it wasn't.

But because of this entire experience, I now know precisely what my taste in cars is. I know what I want to do to my truck and ultimately just have it finished not long from now. I also could go out and buy a whole new truck or car and I'd do my research before even touching it to know what I'd want to do to it.

I was just getting into the auto world spectrum, so I was learning from my own expensive mistakes. Now I know a hell of a lot more about cars then I ever did when I got my Explorer originally, so I know what I want to do from the future on.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I waited Rob, I know you don't want to ship them thats understandable. looks like you got someone else interested in them.

Don't fret, you may actually be the buyer because the one guy hasn't sold his system yet, and I'd really rather just get these sold so I can get the wheels I want.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts